Spyware & AntiVirus?

G

Gabe

Hey

I just order the new Powerbook a couple nights ago, and in preparation for the arrival of my new laptop, I was wondering what anti-virus would be the best.. Now I realize that OSX isn't affected by spyware or any PC virus but I'll be connecting to my university network and it constantly sweeps the network and disconnects any computers with any type of virus.. so I would need some sort of virus protection I assume.

Also.. if spyware doesn't affect a mac, wouldn't it just accumulate on the computer and become a dead file that just takes up space? How would I clean these files up? Can someone clear this up with me? I'm just wondering if spyware and virus files would just be unactive files that just sit on my disk taking up space.

Thanks in advance!

OP
I

itsmeee

first off i don't think they can even look for virus's on your computer without you letting them. They will probably just go right by you.

As for spyware yes i does effect the mac in a very negative way. Your going to have to follow these steps to the letter or you will find yourself reformatting constantly! oh wait nm were talking about osx not XP. Yeah basically nothing happens. Every once in a while the download window will open and download some file to your desktop (or wherever you have it set to download those files too). Then you just drop it into your trash. That has only happened to me a few times and i got a good chuckle out of it. There might be little pieces here and there of programs which just won't run and they should be cleared by simply clicking the menu item "safari" and then "empty cache". I believe that will clear all the cached data which might contain some silly stuff. All in all it won't be any hassle at all.

enjoy your new pb :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually I haven't even had that happen to me since most spyware is either included with windows apps or uses some internet explorer hack to copy itself to your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
virex

Gabe said:
Hey

I just order the new Powerbook a couple nights ago, and in preparation for the arrival of my new laptop, I was wondering what anti-virus would be the best.. Now I realize that OSX isn't affected by spyware or any PC virus but I'll be connecting to my university network and it constantly sweeps the network and disconnects any computers with any type of virus.. so I would need some sort of virus protection I assume.

Also.. if spyware doesn't affect a mac, wouldn't it just accumulate on the computer and become a dead file that just takes up space? How would I clean these files up? Can someone clear this up with me? I'm just wondering if spyware and virus files would just be unactive files that just sit on my disk taking up space.

Thanks in advance!

i get virex through my school fort free. should i use it? or would it just take up space?

OP
J

jbsengineer

shimanok2 said:
i get virex through my school fort free. should i use it? or would it just take up space?

gabe and schimanok,

i know our campus just started supporting the software that can detect whether the mac is or isn't protected by an AV. if they are not. we deny there mac address an ip and hand down a dns that will redirect them to a page to tell them to download a AV client.

so i would put the AV on there to be safe. cause if they dont have the capability to know...they might in the future.

by the way what powerbook did you get? i just ordered a 12" SD

Josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.