Potential Mac n00b seeks advice

Reaction score
Hi all

Am considering taking the plunge and buying my first Mac. I'm considering the MacBook white - as it has Firewire and I want to use it for video editing amongst other things. I'd probably buy the base install but stick 4 GB RAM in there afterwards.

It's not hardcore editing, just home movies. I just fancied a MacBook because of the portability.

I really need to know if there's enough power to do the editing or whether I'd be better off with something more beefy... if anyone has any thoughts on this, would be glad to hear them. Unfortunately my budget is probably only around the £800 mark so if the MacBook white isn't up to the job I may have to look for something else.

Cheers!:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
With the extra RAM, I'd say the MacBook would be fine...for "home" movies. iMovie, for example, would run quite well.
If you're doing more professional stuff, though, I'd say get a MacBook Pro, if you really need the portability. Otherwise, get an iMac or Mac Pro.
But the MacBook should be fine in your case. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.