Apple terms for thumb drive & userID

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm working on some Mac end-user docs, but have only ever written for Wintel PCs and UNIX. My boss says I need to make this guide as familiar-looking as possible to Mac users.

I've consulted the Apple Publications Style Guide and got a lot of good info there, but I'm stuck for a couple of terms:

Thumb drive/flash drive: What is the normal term for a USB-connected flash drive? The APSG lists flash memory, but referring to memory cards - SD, CF etc., not an actual USB-connected device.

UserID: Is this term frowned upon? Should we always say "user name"?

Is there a good PC/Mac bilingual dictionary somewhere? I've tried googling, but didn't find anything very helpful except for a book by O'Reilly. I was hoping not to have to pay $30+ for the info. ;)

TIA for any help or suggestions.
malkie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
this is actually the first time i thought about something like this :D e.g. i've never considered a flash drive name specific depending on the OS :)

for the user name, the system preferences mention "User Name" so if u want to stick to what the system gui tells u, u'll be absolutely fine ... but i guess that would depend on who will be reading your documents, from my point of view it is perfectly understandable what userID is

can't help you with the dictionary though, but i'm looking forward to it if some1 knows about it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.