Beware. Be VERY Aware

Reaction score
Apple has really pulled a fast one on me today!

I called for tech support for my iPhone. Ended up having a warranty issue with the Wifi. I dont live within 150 miles of an apple store and not having a back up phone I opted to pay the $29 for an advanced replacement...

Well I get home and check my bank account.

The tech I spoke to on the phone neglected to tell me about the $500 hold placed on my account until they get my phone back. Had I known that I wouldnt have gone that avenue. Well now here I am still fighting this out on the phone with apple.

That $500 means I cant afford to put gas in my car to get to work tomorrow. I cant afford to eat until this is figured out. My acct is $1.42, if one more charge hits Im going to overdraw. Take a minute and just really imagine the POSITION Im in now thanks to this back handed BS.

Next time you talk with apple make sure they tell you the whole truth and not whatever they need to make a fast buck! This is an unacceptable business practice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
That does suck! Sorry to hear about that one!

However, it's common practice for a company to do that when you ask for a advanced replacement. They do it because they don't know if you are going to send your old one in or not. In my experience they release the money pretty quick after getting the old phone back.

OP
L
Reaction score
Regardless of a common business practice, you should make the person aware of the charge...

Im a Paramedic, if I dont get into work tomorrow someone has to work over for me or we go down an ambulance. Thats one less truck on the street, more work for everybody and longer response times for patients. Now push that timeline down...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Regardless of a common business practice, you should make the person aware of the charge...

Im a Paramedic, if I dont get into work tomorrow someone has to work over for me or we go down an ambulance. Thats one less truck on the street, more work for everybody and longer response times for patients. Now push that timeline down...

Oh I know.. I agree 100% they should have said something prior to it. Did you tell that to Apple customer service? Maybe talk to your bank about it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ive been on the phone with them about it. I have been told that since the pack has shipped there is nothing they can do about it. I have called my bank, I need to call back tomorrow to file a claim about this.. I Will...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a good reason for NEVER using your debit card, checking or savings account to effect a transaction. Always use a credit card! A $500.00 temporary charge to a credit card is a lot easier to negotiate than having your bank account held either by a debit card charge or electronic hold on a checking or savings account.

However, you should have been told about the $500 hold. Definitely lodge a complaint about the oversight.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree with chscag, having a debit card on file for this sort of stuff is a bad idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I don't like when companies do that.

Apple always tells me if I don't send it back THEN they will charge my card for the retail value.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I suppose it's better than the $100 holds I've had gas stations put on a card.. irritating though

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also agree that the company should tell the customer what will happen. That could really hurt someone. Sorry, it happened to me once and I was in a bad position for a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Report your card missing and get a new one making the one on file obsolete.

That's probably more trouble then it's really worth...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not to mention the fraud implications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Report your card missing and get a new one making the one on file obsolete.

Don't lie to your bank. Tell them the truth: Apple placed an unauthorized hold on your account, without your knowledge or consent, and you require access to those funds.

And in the future, it would be better to use a credit card instead of a debit card.

Reaction score
Don't lie to your bank. Tell them the truth: Apple placed an unauthorized hold on your account, without your knowledge or consent, and you require access to those funds.

And in the future, it would be better to use a credit card instead of a debit card.

I agree. Lying to your bank won't do any good. You'd just get a "new" account with a $1.42 in it. Doing this won't allow you to recover the $500 hold.

Do what Tech says and tell them Apple put an unauthorized hold. If Apple did this without your knowledge, that's a bunch of BS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
This happened to me too once, and I live in Norway. The difference was that the tech on the phone told me they where going to put the funds on hold. When they received the defect part they would release the money again. And they did, pretty fast too.

Because Apple neglected to tell you this on the phone you should file a complaint, if you had known about this you would probably used your credit card if you have one. Right ?

Hope it will resolve itself for you soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
They did that with me too - it was only £50 but same princible.

However, I gave them my credit card (infact they only accepted credit cards) so the fact that they took £50 or £1000 wouldn't really matter because it would be taken off when they got the broken hardware and I wouldn't be out of pocket in my bank account.

Hope you get the problem sorted soon though, that would suck to be in that position.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Boy, that really bites a big bullet. Feel for ya.

Remember the first time something like that happened with my debit card. To say "I was not a happy camper" would be putting it extremely mild.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.