Learning the ropes - newbie

K

kzef

Hi,

Had my iBook for about 3 weeks now, and I'm still loving it, and I feel that I'm getting ued to it pretty quickly, but I been building up some questions that have been troubling me, so here they all are. Thanks in advance.

1. Where is the homepage button in safari?
2. Is there anyway you can align icons?
3. Is there a rom drive icon that you can click on? (like windows has M:/ drive)
4. What's the eject button I see in the dock when i try and delete some things?
5. Where abouts is the downloads folder?
6. Lastly, I downloaded MSN Messenger but can't delete the "messenger.dmg" icon that has appeared on my desktop. When I try, it just says "the the operation cannot be completed because the item is in use"??

I would be greatful for any help.

cheerz

kzef

:teen:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1. In Safari, View > Home should be checked
2. In the Finder, View > Clean Up. To make this automatic, choose View > Show View Options and check "Snap to grid"
3. Drives mount on the desktop, and disappear when you eject/unmount/disconnect from them. If a disk is not available (mounted) then no icon will appear. This prevents the kind of "Drive not ready" errors you get under Windows.
4. You're probably talking about disk images. Disk images are "wrapper" disks that are used to distribute software. You load the image, copy the software to your HD, eject the image, and then delete the .dmg file. (Moderators, we need a sticky about these! How many questions does it take?!!)
5. Usually, the Desktop. You can change the folder in Safari Preferences (General).
6. See item #4 above. Or search for "disk image" in the forum. It comes up often; it's a very unnatural setup.( MODS! PLEASE!)

OP
K

kzef

technologist said:
1. In Safari, View > Home should be checked
2. In the Finder, View > Clean Up. To make this automatic, choose View > Show View Options and check "Snap to grid"
3. Drives mount on the desktop, and disappear when you eject/unmount/disconnect from them. If a disk is not available (mounted) then no icon will appear. This prevents the kind of "Drive not ready" errors you get under Windows.
4. You're probably talking about disk images. Disk images are "wrapper" disks that are used to distribute software. You load the image, copy the software to your HD, eject the image, and then delete the .dmg file. (Moderators, we need a sticky about these! How many questions does it take?!!)
5. Usually, the Desktop. You can change the folder in Safari Preferences (General).
6. See item #4 above. Or search for "disk image" in the forum. It comes up often; it's a very unnatural setup.( MODS! PLEASE!)

thanks for the quick fixes man, I'm still lost on why I can't delete that .dmg file, but I'll take a look around. Cheerz

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
kzef said:
6. Lastly, I downloaded MSN Messenger but can't delete the "messenger.dmg" icon that has appeared on my desktop. When I try, it just says "the the operation cannot be completed because the item is in use"??
Sounds like you are running MSN messenger from the .dmg file. Drag and drop a copy of the application into your application folder. Once this is done. Drag the .dmg file to the trash. This will unmount the temporary file system (or wrapper as some people call it).

Reaction score
Often if you read the 'read me' file on a disk image then the disk is not going to eject. So you will need to quit text edit before the image ejects. May not be the problem your having, but worth bearing in mind.

OP
K

kzef

rman said:
Sounds like you are running MSN messenger from the .dmg file. Drag and drop a copy of the application into your application folder. Once this is done. Drag the .dmg file to the trash. This will unmount the temporary file system (or wrapper as some people call it).

thanx man, that was just what I was looking for, I think technologist said it aswell. Once again these forums prove helpful.

cheerz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.