Internet Explorer - possible on a mac?

S

stelarjess

There is an online course I need to complete, but it only runs correctly in IE (i called the tech dept running the course). Is it possible to download IE 5.5 or higher onto my mac? If so, where do I do this?

Thanks. :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i think IE 5 was the last one made to run on a mac - but don't hold me to that.

i know i got a copy in a comcast high speed internet kit. i'm not sure of any other relaiable source for IE for a mac.

OP
S

stelarjess

That's all I've found too, IE 5. I tried dling it and it doesn't work with the program (of course). Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, it may be a bit of overkill, but do you have the incentive and a copy of windows with which you can run windows via bootcamp or a virtual setup?

also have you tried firefox, opera, camino, or google chrome? it could be that whatever the course needs, it may work with one of them.

OP
S

stelarjess

i do have a copy of windows.. but i wouldn't know how to install it on my mac.

i've been trying firefox and safari. i'll try the others too, thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
Try this. I think it may be what you're looking for.

Reaction score
If that doesn't work for you then Crossover will allow you run IE6 on your Mac.

They have a trial which may be enough time to get through your course.

December's option does seem better though.

Reaction score
I would really suggest firefox, over IE. It works great and is faster. You can also download a skin for it, to look just like IE.

My wife said she'd never use firefox, so I made ours look like IE and switched the desktop icon so it would open Firefox. She didn't realize it for weeks.

OP
S

stelarjess

I would really suggest firefox, over IE. It works great and is faster. You can also download a skin for it, to look just like IE.

My wife said she'd never use firefox, so I made ours look like IE and switched the desktop icon so it would open Firefox. She didn't realize it for weeks.

I do use firefox for everything. But for this particular program that I have to complete, it is only compatible with IE, which is why i was asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
You could also try getting the User Agent Switcher add on for FF, and make it report as Internet Explorer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You could also try getting the User Agent Switcher add on for FF, and make it report as Internet Explorer.

That does not always work with some sites that are totally written with IE in mind. I usually do try that first though before going to IE on a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.