Would buying an airport express enable to back up wirelessly through time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
i really would like to be able to back up wirelessly so that i wouldnt need to have my external hard drive plugged in all the time, would buying an airport express enable me to do this?

p.s - i have the iomega minimax 500gb external hard drive if that makes any difference

cheers :)
Jordan

Reaction score
I don't bother with connecting a back up drive on the time machine. I jsut back up every few days or when I do something major. I just connect via usb and wait....way way faster than networking it.

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
with all due respect that doesn't really answer my question but thank you for your imput all the same.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I believe you need the Extreme. I believe the USB port on the Express is only for a USB printer.

FWIW I use a Time Capsule, and let Time Machine do it's thing in the background. I never notice a slow down when it's backing up, and when I do notice it backing up (spinning sync icon on the menu bar) I can see it moving along pretty quickly.

I used to be a proponent (okay, I guess I still am) of backing up important files after a few days or significant event, but Time Machine backs up files within 15 minutes or so of noticing any changes so it makes it real handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.