icons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
ok i dont have a mac yet but i have a few questions for those of you who change out their icons on there docks. when you put new icons on your mac do you save them in a folder somewhere? and when you change your folder icons on your comp how do you go about doing it so all the icons change at once?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
So you want to customize icons on the Mac? The ones that Apple uses can be transferred to folders, the ones that are used by third-party applications the same. There are also thousands of free icons from sites like Icon Archive - 22,200+ free icons, buddy icons, xp icons, vista icons, desktop icons, aim icons and Free Icons Web - Free Icons,Free Icons Download,Free Desktop Icons,Royalty Free icons.

To use icons in the Dock, simply drag the application icon from the Applications Folder to the Dock. To put folders with custom icons in the dock, drag the folder from wherever it resides to the lower part of the Dock (you'll see the dividing line).

To put a custom icon on a folder, Get Info on that folder, and click the icon in the top left corner. Copy and paste the replacement icon image there, and then close the Info window.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
can you change all folder icons on your comp at one time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Short answer - don't think so. You can open multiple Get Info windows, but there's a limit to how many will fit on the screen, and you've still got to deal with each folder or application icon. Someone may know of an Apple script that will "apply changes to all".

For example, on a slightly different topic, you can apply changes to "use this application to open all documents (files) like this." Doing that puts the application icon eg. Quicktime or Word, on all related files.

Edit: Ah, yes, thanks Stretch for curing my senior grey cell episode of earlier. I could remember the 'candy' bit of Candybar but nothing else, so played safe with "don't think so".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what is candybar in short?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Acer second display 1TB Iomega HD, iPad 32GB wifi, iphone 4, sprint overdrive
Candy is a program that allows you to change any and pretty much all your icons/folders/ trash bin, etc. You can also change the appearance of the dock.

Once you purchase candy bar you can download tons of icon and docks.

For instance my current trash bin is a Rubix Cube. When empty it is solid colors and when it has trash it is mixed up. My itunes icon is an ipod with headphones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.