will the g4 powerbooks work with tiger?

B

bootiemonger

hi i'm a student that's in the market for a laptop. i very interested in the 12 in powerbook. howeverm my question is will the current powerbooks be powerful enough, graphics and cpu, to run tiger?

if they are powerful enough now i'll buy within the month, if not i can hold off till tiger is released along with the appropriate laptop hardware config.

since i'm a student obtaining a copy of tiger for a reasonable price will not be a problem when it comes out, if the 12 in can handle it.

thanks

OP
M

meltbanana314

Of course! 12-inch PBs meet all the requirements to run Tiger and then some. The iBooks do as well, and that may be a better route for you as a student. (Unless you're doing heavy, heavy graphics work - then go with the PowerBook.)

OP
B

bootiemonger

cool thanks.

i'm traditionally a PC guy, looking into the 'switch'

there are two reasons i'm considering the powerbook over the iBook:

1. longevity, you can't upgrade a laptop as it ages so my philosophy is buy the best of what you can now without breaking the bank in order to stave off the inevitable

2. while i'm not desperately in need of all the power i can get, i need more power than the casual emailer/websurfer. and if i get a iBook and install tiger and it slows the laptop down considerably i will have felt that i wasted alot of money.

3. it's a reason, but i admit it's not a really valid one. i just prefer the look of the powerbook over the iBook. (i hate that PC laptops are ugly and un-integrated)

OP
M

meltbanana314

bootiemonger said:
cool thanks.

i'm traditionally a PC guy, looking into the 'switch'

there are two reasons i'm considering the powerbook over the iBook:

1. longevity, you can't upgrade a laptop as it ages so my philosophy is buy the best of what you can now without breaking the bank in order to stave off the inevitable

2. while i'm not desperately in need of all the power i can get, i need more power than the casual emailer/websurfer. and if i get a iBook and install tiger and it slows the laptop down considerably i will have felt that i wasted alot of money.

3. it's a reason, but i admit it's not a really valid one. i just prefer the look of the powerbook over the iBook. (i hate that PC laptops are ugly and un-integrated)

I chose the PowerBook for basically the same reasons. For a little bit more money it will last a lot longer (aluminum vs. plastic, higher-end graphics card and processor) so I can use the extra power if I need it.

Not to mention that PowerBooks have better keyboards than the iBooks (the PB keyboard is exceptional, it's right on par with my uncle's IBM Thinkpads in my opinion) and they do look better... nothing commands respect like a shiny PowerBook. The iBook is a little too cutesy to tote around at a school or business, but that's entirely subjective.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.