• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What are you guys doing about camcorders and importing footage?

Reaction score
Since the new macbooks dont have firewire how are you guys importing footage into them? I ask because my camcorder has a firewire cable and my new macbook does not have a firewire port. Did a quick google search and found a few "converters" but am unsure if they would work.

So, whats the solution to this problem?
Thanks guys/gals!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Well I would have solved that problem (If I hadn't got my MBP) bu simply capturing to my Vista Laptop via firewire 400 and then transferring the files over. Quite an inconvinience but I don't think there is any other way of getting DV onto the MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Does the camcorder only have FireWire? Mine has a USB-port as well so I guess it woud be possible to use that with Windows in Bootcamp, but I have not needed to do that....

Check out the Wondows-documentnation for the camcorder (assuming you have Windows on the Mac as well).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since the new macbooks dont have firewire how are you guys importing footage into them? I ask because my camcorder has a firewire cable and my new macbook does not have a firewire port. Did a quick google search and found a few "converters" but am unsure if they would work. So, whats the solution to this problem?

The converters will work, maybe a bit slower than a straight through firewire connection but should be OK. The only downside to the converters that I was able to find was their cost. If you can find one that is reasonably priced it would be better than trying a double transfer from the camera to another machine and then to your MacBook.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
i got this from best buy today:
USB Multi Cable with Firewire

For some reason, i cannot get the connection between my camcorder to my macbook via dv port on camcorder then this cable to usb. Any suggestions?

It's not designed to use USB - firewire. Just for the convinience of only carrying one cable around for all your firefire and USB needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mabook 2.4 320 GB, 4GB Ram
From many searches on this very subject, I've come to the conclusion that some of us made a mistake. I needed to transfer my MiniDV tapes to my new Macbook, but cannot find a USB MiniDV camcorder. Canon models fooled me, since they do list USB, but found out that the USB connection is Only for still photos on the card, not the taped movies.

I'm debating what my next move will be here. Still keeping an eye out for camcorders that might work. But I think my solution overall will be to buy a PC for home use and stick iLife in a drawer. Not one of my favorite purchases, I miss my old G5 iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.