Loading new hard drive

Reaction score
I'm a neophyte at this so I need plain language step by step. I have an ibook with 40 gig hard drive. I am installing a 160 gig and don't know how to transfer old drive to new drive. I have SuperDuper and have backed up old drive to an external. Do I have to do any kind of formatting etc on the new drive before loading? Also do my programs transfer right over? HELP, HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Connect new drive externally by Firewire, go to Disk Utility. select the new disk and format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and use SuperDuper to copy internal drive to external.

Remove the new drive and place in the iBook, and it will be all systems, and applications, go!

You can use the original drive in the external case but if you wish to make it bootable, format, set up as singleton partition and again use SuperDuper. PowerPC machines require external drives to be Firewire in order to be bootable.

SuperDuper is many times faster on Smart Backup if you purchase the registered version.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thank you so much for your help. Just one question though..the new hard drive is an internal drive therefore does not have a connection to plug into firewire. Is there a patch wire that I can purchase that will allow me to plug this in the external firewire port?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look here. Rather than a direct adapter, place the internal hard drive into an external case which supports a firewire connection. The link above has one such case for $29.95.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes of course the internal drive needs to be fitted inside a case to become external. You would need a 2.5" case for a laptop drive. The case will plug into mains power and Firewire 400 on your laptop. Sorry should not have assumed you would know.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks again!

Thank both of you for your info and your patience with a neophyte. Am ordering a case today. THANKS AGAIN!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You said you already have the current HD backed up on another external? If so, you do NOT need to purchase another case. Install the new HD in the iBook(Good luck, it is a little difficult, but possible), and boot from either the backup or the install disk.

If from the backup, use Superduper again and have it make a backup of your backup on the newly installed drive. If from the install disk, then use Disk Utility to clone the backup onto the new drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Stretch!

Thanks, you just saved me some bucks. Now let me get my hammer and my bolt cutters and I will get into the guts of this iBook (lol). I'll let you know how this goes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.