Yet another port forwarding problem...

Reaction score
I have tried everything I can Google to get my ports forwarded correctly. I'm trying to use Transmission for some torrents, but after a week of fiddling I have yet to get the port forwarded correctly.

I've recently moved into an apartment and set up shop with my iMac, MacBook Air, and Airport Extreme.
Now back at my old house it was real simple to get this thing working, but something was lost in the transition...

My setup:

I've got two computers connected wirelessly to an Airport Extreme, and the AE is plugged directly into the wall. Right now I can get on the net and surf around, and download pretty much anything that's not a torrent.

An odd thing I saw was that my IP is set at 10.109.1.blah... however in every port forwarding tutorial I've come across the IP should be something like 10.0.1.blah. I've tried a few times to set up a static IP, but everytime I get a DHCP Range error.

*sigh* I couldn't tell you how bad I want to solve this problem... it's not even about downloading torrents anymore... I just wanna fix it!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
I've got two computers connected wirelessly to an Airport Extreme, and the AE is plugged directly into the wall. Right now I can get on the net and surf around, and download pretty much anything that's not a torrent.

What is on the other side of the connection at the wall? Cable modem? DSL modem? college network?

There has to be some sort of router/switch out there that is talking to your Airport. It may well be that the other device in the loop is blocking the ports.

Scott

OP
J
Reaction score
to be honest I'm not sure... and yeah I'm thinking that's my problem. My apartment complex offers "free" internet to all it's residents, so I think it's sort of like the college network thing. But as I stated above, I'm not sure.

Anyway around this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.