Rehash of Parallel or VM

Reaction score
New to Mac... Having real issues w/ Quickbooks 2009 for Mac. I believe I will have to switch back to QB 2009 Pro for PC. Have searched threads for this question and I know it has been beat to death but>>>>>

Only to run one program; QB and to keep my MBP 2.8 4m ram running at it's best and keep it simple and be able to cut and paste across platforms/OS what is the best way to do this?

Also... Which version of windows is safest to use? Vista scares me. If I could I would use the old Win for workstation

OP
S
Reaction score
Originally posted in software forum and not sure if it was the right place:Grimmace:

New to Mac... Having real issues w/ Quickbooks 2009 for Mac. I believe I will have to switch back to QB 2009 Pro for PC. Have searched threads for this question and I know it has been beat to death but>>>>>

Only to run one program; QB and to keep my MBP 2.8 4m ram running at it's best and keep it simple and be able to cut and paste across platforms/OS what is the best way to do this?

Also... Which version of windows is safest to use? Vista scares me. If I could I would use the old Win for workstation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Since QB 2009 doesn't support Win 3.12 just get XP and Fusion and max out your ram.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Neither. If you just need access to one program, I'd recommend the open source VirtualBox. I'd also recommend XP, since it has a much smaller overall footprint, but there are no real fundamental differences.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NOTE: Merged cross-posted threads (please don't do this in the future).

OP
S
Reaction score
Neither. If you just need access to one program, I'd recommend the open source VirtualBox. I'd also recommend XP, since it has a much smaller overall footprint, but there are no real fundamental differences.

Went to virtualBox site. I see that Macports and xcode may be needed??? That sounds way above my capabilities. I have faint memories of programing in DOS but that was a very long time ago and networks are nearly as faint. :eek:

I've been spoiled by install wizards.

Also sorry for the cross post. I'll try to never let it happen again O:)

OP
S
Reaction score
CWA,
To install XP does it need to be from a disk or is a download ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Personally I use both VMWare and Parallels and prefer parallels 4 for what you need to do.

If you buy vmware fusion you can download a whole bunch of different "virtual Operating systems" from the website called Virtual Appliances. At home I use VMware. The file is 1 GB and it's only in case I need it for something.

At work I run 2 large format digital printers on the windows side as my RIP station is windows based. I have one of my Mac Pros drives shared with windows and I can do whateever I need to drag and drop style

Only XP of course and you can get a RETAIL Copy of XP on ebay for $50 or so. Not the upgrade and it should only be a service pack 2 disc.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
I use QB 2008 via Parallels 4.0. I know that as of a year ago, QB and Quicken were infamous for running poorly on OSX. Perhaps they haven't made much progress! But in your case, I think things may be different.

I don't know the answer to your original P.O. question, but it sounded too fundamental to me to be a bug. So before you go to all the trouble of getting XP, you should contact Intuit support. I believe you're entitled to free support within 12 months of purchase.

OP
S
Reaction score
I use QB 2008 via Parallels 4.0. I know that as of a year ago, QB and Quicken were infamous for running poorly on OSX. Perhaps they haven't made much progress! But in your case, I think things may be different.

I don't know the answer to your original P.O. question, but it sounded too fundamental to me to be a bug. So before you go to all the trouble of getting XP, you should contact Intuit support. I believe you're entitled to free support within 12 months of purchase.

Support told me that Jobs and Estimates did not get "pulled" into Purchase orders and Invoicing respectively. As you said, it is so fundamental! Also the Tech was rather snarky in his answer and whether I had support or not. After hanging up, I waited a little while and called back hoping to get someone else. with 10 billion people in India what were the chances of getting the same dude....100%. I told him that I did not like his answer and please check into it further. He said he would call me back in 30-60 minutes. It's been two days, think I got blown off.

BTW: got refund for the QB 2009 Mac

I want to thank you for all the input. I'm going to try the visualbox route and hope that it is easier than the manual says. Also going to call around to the local PC stores and hope to find XP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Support told me that Jobs and Estimates did not get "pulled" into Purchase orders and Invoicing respectively. As you said, it is so fundamental! Also the Tech was rather snarky in his answer and whether I had support or not. After hanging up, I waited a little while and called back hoping to get someone else. with 10 billion people in India what were the chances of getting the same dude....100%. I told him that I did not like his answer and please check into it further. He said he would call me back in 30-60 minutes. It's been two days, think I got blown off.

BTW: got refund for the QB 2009 Mac

I want to thank you for all the input. I'm going to try the visualbox route and hope that it is easier than the manual says. Also going to call around to the local PC stores and hope to find XP.

Although I haven't used it, I've never encountered anyone looking for help for the install, so I assume it's not as bad as it looks.

You can pick up an "OEM for System Builders" version of XP Professional for around $100 from NewEgg.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.