Which laptop to get?

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to this forum as you can see! I require some help....

Im normally a PC man but since my degree uses linux and unix for programming i thought I might as well stray away from my PC and get a laptop just for working on.

My degree is game programming and i need a basic laptop to program on. At the moment im not making any high end 3D graphical games at most they will be 2D.

The thing i need help with is which laptop to buy... I dont want to spend to much money as im a poor student all the time but i do want it to be good. The thing that throws me is the different types of laptops there are for mac... iBook iMac etc...

So any advice on which sort of laptop to buy would be very much appriciated :)

I dont really want to spend any more then 500 pounds.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24" Imac
Hello!

I am new to this forum as you can see! I require some help....

Im normally a PC man but since my degree uses linux and unix for programming i thought I might as well stray away from my PC and get a laptop just for working on.

My degree is game programming and i need a basic laptop to program on. At the moment im not making any high end 3D graphical games at most they will be 2D.

The thing i need help with is which laptop to buy... I dont want to spend to much money as im a poor student all the time but i do want it to be good. The thing that throws me is the different types of laptops there are for mac... iBook iMac etc...

So any advice on which sort of laptop to buy would be very much appriciated :)

I dont really want to spend any more then 500 pounds.

Thanks!

There is currently no latptops in the apple range that are within your budget. they are all upwards of £700. If i was you then i would hunt around for a second hand Macbook pro running intel, or a white Macbook again running intel. You should be able to find a good one in your price range. Just check that all the hardware is functioning correctly upon purchase as replacing these parts outside of warranty is very expensive.

Also an imac is not a laptop, but an all-in-one desktop. :Smirk:

Reaction score
What mac not to get

Hello this is my first post here. I am brand new to Macs. I bought a macbook (new aluminum one) I am amazed by everything about the whole mac operating system. The mail program various widgets and gadgets and the overall ease of operation but I really wish I had not bought this one. The main reason is the impossible to see keyboard. I am sitting here with a 52" tv on about 10 feet away and a usb light plugged into my mac and I am straining my eyes trying to see what is where. The above post is probably more valuable to you than you can appreciate yet. I would advise running from the new aluminum mac book untill they solve this problem. My previous laptop HP Pavillion) I used in the exact same location for the exact same work I didnt really need a new one and I am quite dissatisfied that I purchased this one. I have read on several other forims that there was no problem seeing the keys on the white macbooks that are still available today and they are a few hundred bucks cheaper so I would recommend either a used one as mentioned above or wait untill they solve this problem and I will bank all I have that they realize there is a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.