I want to buy an iMac (Help)

Reaction score
So I want to buy a 20" iMac 2.4ghz, and I was wondering if it comes with any word processing software, also, do I have to get anti-virus software for it? I heard Macs are supposedly "free" from obtaining virus's but is that true out-of-the box? Any and all help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'm almost 100% positive that new Macs do not come with any Word Processing software unless you pay for it extra upon purchasing. iLife and MS Office for Mac are 2 of the most popular ones. OpenOffice.org is a great, free alternative as well.

As for anti-virus software, unless you're planning on dual-booting with Windows, you will not need it. If you have a Windows partition set up so you can run it, just use your fave AV software (I recommend AVG Free Edition or Avast Anti-Virus, both are free and work well).

It is next to impossible to obtain viruses while running OS X out-of-the-box, as majority (if not all) virus' are written/coded for Windows, you won't have anything to worry about. Same goes with spyware as well.

Hope this helps! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
It comes with a pretty basic text editor, called TextEdit. If all you plan to do is write small papers, essays, then it should be fine.... but making things like brochures or fliers might not be too easy with TextEdit. You can always buy external software for your Mac, even Microsoft Works is available for Macintosh. As for antivirus software.... it is highly unlikely you will get any sort of terminal virus on your mac, unless you go to some explicit, virus ridden site that automatically downloads without notification. So no need to spend that money on it. Spend that money of fun programs instead! :)

Hope everything goes well with the purchase, and welcome to the forums! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
iWork is made for Mac and contains Pages which many prefer to Word, Numbers a different take on Spreadsheets which is fun to use and KeyNote which leaves Power point for dead.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you all. I have another question if y'all don't mind answering it...What was/is your method of payment on your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I usually bought mine used, so I paid cash via PayPal. I've never purchased a new Mac.

Also, a great site for downloading freeware/shareware is VersionTracker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Why would you like to know this?

He asked a question wanting an answer, not asking for another question about his question.

OP
R
Reaction score
I wanted to how you purchased because I really want to get an iMac but I just have no idea how to buy it, I don't know what methods will make me pay more or have a bunch of interest and all that B.S.

Thanks BlueMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I bought mine on my credit card.... but I believe Apple has financing plans. If you have the means to buy it outright go for it. If not check out there financing plans.

OP
R
Reaction score
Dang, Macs are just so **** much! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to purchase my iMac...I'm 18 (I have yet to establish any type of credit) I have a job so I can pay a bill...what do you think? I really need some help here.

Reaction score
He asked a question wanting an answer, not asking for another question about his question.

OK....... Mr. 13 year old.

Do you always give up personal information without knowing the reason for the inquiry? You know so much for being so young.

Reaction score
Dang, Macs are just so **** much! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to purchase my iMac...I'm 18 (I have yet to establish any type of credit) I have a job so I can pay a bill...what do you think? I really need some help here.

If you're 18 with a job, you might be able to get a Best Buy credit card for a Mac purchase. They were running 18 months zero interest over the Christmas holidays, not sure if this offer is still on the table. This could be a good way to establish credit, just don't abuse it. The post about Apple credit above might be another alternative.

The other alternative might be to see if someone can co-sign a credit card for you.

OP
R
Reaction score
I KNOW someone,with good credit, will co-sign for me. My other concern is...would a credit company be willing to offer an unestablished teen,that's new to credit, a $2000.00 credit line?

Reaction score
Here is some sound advice. Save the money and buy with cash. Once you go down the slippery slope of debt, you might not get out.

If you can't afford the computer, don't buy it. And, no, they will not give you a $2000 credit line unless you have a stable job, a good to great credit score, or a co-signer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
To be honest mate, if you are 18, and don't have any credit history, don't get in to debt just to get a new computer.

On ebay you can get a used G4 emac for less than £100 - get a 1.25 or 1.42 ghz one, 17" Monitor, Super Drive, 80gig hard drive. Max out the Ram (you can get 2gigs on those things despite apple 'supporting' only 1 officially).

For that you'll have a great little machine, that will run Tiger easily, or Leopard if you really want to push it. It will also handle every day tasks admirably. And all for the price of a couple of nights out on the town.

Edit - Sorry if that sounded preachy - its totally meant as my opinion! If you DO get the new machine its going to be a lot faster and last you much longer. It will be faster at almost everything from photo and video editing, ripping CD's, converting video. Plus you will be able to play games on it that won't run on a G4.
If you just want it to go online, manage your itunes and type a few documents then an old model will suit you fine too.

Reaction score
I disagree with buying on credit. What happens when you want a new car? Purchasing a computer on credit isn't the smartest thing, but seeing as though you're only 18 without credit, this might be a good way to establish some.

The key is being responsible. Someday you just might NEED credit, and if you don't have any, you're stuck.

When I was 16 I bought a car on credit with my Dad co-signing. My Dad made **** sure I NEVER missed a payment. That was the last time I needed a co-signer.

OP
R
Reaction score
To be honest,jvetter18 and zongamin, I am pretty responsible. I am not one of those teen who doesn't a crap about getting into debt and/or ruining my life in anyway. As MarkY said, I want to establish some credit, and I see a long-lasting computer(iMac) much more helpful (in my personal life) than say, a vehicle etc. So I might go with the credit option, but again, will they give me a credit line good enough to buy the iMac with a co-signer than has good (not great) credit?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.