Safari or IE

I

IcedOutQMutha

Now I have recently ordered a Mac Mini, hasn't shipped to my knowledge and now Gmail is down so I WON'T know... But my question is, since OS X comes with both IE and Safari, which one is better? I myself would think Sarfari would be better since it's built into and for the OS, is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Neither. I personally would recommend Camino, which is a native-OS X designed browser with Mozilla's rendering engine, or Firefox for Mac if you want its extensions. Safari is infinitely better than IE, though. But I'd still say Camino and Firefox are better, and I prefer Camino because of OS integration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Safari is much better than IE.

As for Safari vs. Firefox vs. Camino that really will just come down to personal preference. All of them are free so you can try them out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah. Then there's also Omniweb, whose users all say it's really good, but it costs money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
Firefox

IcedOutQMutha said:
Now I have recently ordered a Mac Mini, hasn't shipped to my knowledge and now Gmail is down so I WON'T know... But my question is, since OS X comes with both IE and Safari, which one is better? I myself would think Sarfari would be better since it's built into and for the OS, is this true?

I'd go with Firefox for sure. Safari is ok for the odd lookup but personally I'd remove IE from OS X if I were Steve Jobs. There are so many great (and free) browsers available for Mac why just try them all and judge for yourself.

OP
B

Badger

One thing to remember: IE for the Mac is end-of-life. MS is no longer developing it. It won't get any better than it is now.

OP
G

gdestiny

i prefer firefox myself on the mac. IE on the mac just doesn't "feel" right to me for some reason. maybe the way it renders some pages. once I downloaded firefox, i never gave safari a second look.

OP
I

IcedOutQMutha

Thanks everyone! I'll certainly take your advice... when my mini gets here! :closed: aklsdfj;klsd

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
gdestiny said:
i prefer firefox myself on the mac. IE on the mac just doesn't "feel" right to me for some reason.

It doesn't look right which is a pity becasue I quite like the look of the Aqua versions of the Office software but they never put that look into IE, I suppose they wanted it to look like the PC version but to me it just looks antiquated (which it does on the PC as well, it's a bit of a dissapointment to have some parts of XP look really cool and then have the apps look just like they do on Win2000).

Amen-Moses

OP
G

gdestiny

Amen-Moses said:
It doesn't look right which is a pity becasue I quite like the look of the Aqua versions of the Office software but they never put that look into IE, I suppose they wanted it to look like the PC version but to me it just looks antiquated (which it does on the PC as well, it's a bit of a dissapointment to have some parts of XP look really cool and then have the apps look just like they do on Win2000).

Amen-Moses

yeah, that's probably another thing w/ IE on the Mac: it just looks like a transplanted XP version, which it probably is.

i use firefox most of the time. just downloaded camino and it looks very similar to firefox.

OP
D

dirtydog

IE on the Mac is hideous.. it's not a patch on the PC version. I would use Camino, Firefox or Safari in preference as said above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If IE was a transplant of the Windows version, it would actually be BETTER than it is currently, because it would have that 'ha ha I can read everything because the internet is MADE for me' rendering engine. It's a completely and totally different, much worse program on the Mac. Its icons are different, its rendering engine is different, it's way slower...The only similar thing is the boring, standard Windows-esque interface.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.