Office 2008 question

Reaction score
I just got my first Mac and am planning to use it at least partially for work. I saw that the Office 2008 Home and Student edition contained Entourage, so I got it.

Well...

Getting home and reading the box, it appears that I need the 'Professional' version to be able to connect to my MS Exchange account at work :-(

Is there another option, short of buying the full version (the majority of which I don't need) to get Exchange support for Entourage? Do they sell a standalone version of Entourage with this support?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Professional version? You must mean the standard version of Office 2008 which has support for Exchange Server. However, it says nothing about connecting to an Exchange Server account. Have you tried your copy of Entourage to see if it works?

As an alternative (if you can't connect): Do you own a copy of Office for Windows? Outlook? You can always run Windows on your new Mac and install your copy of Office for Win or Outlook and connect to your account at work that way.

Regards.

Reaction score
I just got my first Mac and am planning to use it at least partially for work. I saw that the Office 2008 Home and Student edition contained Entourage, so I got it.

Well...

Getting home and reading the box, it appears that I need the 'Professional' version to be able to connect to my MS Exchange account at work :-(

Is there another option, short of buying the full version (the majority of which I don't need) to get Exchange support for Entourage? Do they sell a standalone version of Entourage with this support?

Thanks.

Hey T-Fen I have done extensive research and found you do need to order Office for Mac pro for exchange support. I got my copy on Amazon for 120 bucks! Yes 120 regularly 499 it came with expressions. Here are some other alternatives if you want to see if any of these options work for you. My Struggle: How to synchronize iCal with Exchange?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks HeyRobi.

I'll check out the link. $120 for Office Full Version?? Nice!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is this Mac to be used on your company's internal network or via a VPN connection?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Check with your company's IT or procurement department. Many companies have an agreement with Microsoft that allows employees to purchase Microsoft Office for minimal cost, as an addendum to the company's volume license. At my company, Office 2008 for Mac (or Office 2007 for Windows) costs $19 shipped.

The catch is that if you terminate employment, you're supposed to remove the software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.