iMac Parallels for MS Home Server virtual Machine

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have an idea going through my mind at the moment, and wanted to call on the collective wisdom of this forum to validate it or steer me in a better direction.

So, I'm both a Mac and PC user. With a preference for the Mac and my wife has an MBP, but I also have substantial investment in PC products and need to use a PC laptop for work.

However, I'm thinking to dispose of my home Vista desktop, and replace it with a 24" iMac or a Mac Pro tower.

I have a substantial iTunes collection, and I use Picasa to store a growing 50gb Photo collection, and I'm using iMovie to collect HD video from my camcorder. So strong safe data backup and media streaming is a high priority, and I'm currently thinking the software RAID option in Windows Home Server might be a better bet than Apple's TimeCapsule.

The idea that came to mind is whether I could run a Windows Home Server on XP in a Virtual Machine on the iMAC/Mac Pro, with a dedicated pair of hard drives to act as my data repository, simultaneously with using it as a desktop Mac.

Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.