Cool OS X Features - Enlighten Me

Reaction score
I just found out about Expose in another thread. It really is a great feature, and I didn't even know it existed. Takes some time for us switchers to find all these neat tricks. Anyone else know of some nice tricks that the average NooB may not know about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the dock has lots of hidden uses, you can add folders of apps, like a folder called Graphics, and have all design/photo/page layout apps in it. there is also lots of useful utilities, like digital color meter which will give you the rgb or cmyk breakdown of any color you see on your dusplay. also, theres the toolbar and sidebar in any finder window. you can add apps that are drag and drop to either, trsh cans, functional actions, etc. theres more, but Im at school, so Ill get back later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*clears throat*
killer tips is a killer rip, off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Macman said:
*clears throat*
killer tips is a killer rip, off.

For someone new to the OS (OSX) I think it gives some very good tips and shortcuts that any Windows user will find handy. I know when I switched last June ('04) there were things that I never knew could be done until I read some of the tips in this book.

I guess, to each his/her own. :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys...keep the tricks coming :)

Reaction score
If you hold the shift key in, then click on the 'yellow' 'hide into dock' button in a finder window then it will slowly go into the dock and also back out if clicked on again, useless but it looks really cool.
The ability to take pictures of the desktop is also really handy with the keyboard shortcut apple+shift+3 for the hole screen and apple+shift+4 for a selection of the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Press control + F1 to turn on keyboard access. Now Control + F2 is like alt+f in wondows, and Control+F3 will allow you to open an app from the dock without your mouse

System Preferences >> Universal Access >> Click "Turn On Zoom" .. now Command+Option+= will zoom in and Command+Option+- will zoom out ... there are a lot of useful things in OS X like these.. i suggest getting The Missing Manual : Panther

macxmmpanther.s.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that zooming is cool, obly problem is that if you take a screenshot zoomed in, itll still look bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mr Bobbins said:
If you hold the shift key in, then click on the 'yellow' 'hide into dock' button in a finder window then it will slowly go into the dock and also back out if clicked on again, useless but it looks really cool.
The ability to take pictures of the desktop is also really handy with the keyboard shortcut apple+shift+3 for the hole screen and apple+shift+4 for a selection of the screen.
holding shift also works with expose. also, after holding shift+command+4, tap the space bar, a small camera will appear and it will take a pic of any window its over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Macman said:
holding shift also works with expose.

awesome :D i never knew that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
holding shift works with a few other features ... hold shift while minimizing a window.

hold down command+option and click on the button in the upper right hand corner of a window ... itll bring up the customization

and just for fun: control+option+command+8

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
MacAddikt said:
and just for fun: control+option+command+8

Well I'll be buggered, I've been looking for a "night time" mode for my planned car Mac and that fits the bill nicely and should be easy to do from an AppleScript (I've decided to use AppleScript Studio to write the front end, if anyone has some cool icons they'd like to see in a car or ideas for a cool looking layout feel free to send them my way).

Amen-Moses

J

jbsengineer

i personally like holding the option key when opening a folder or a drive....i like my area clean, :).

also holding option while switching to another application. just hides it like it was never there. :)

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
jbsengineer said:
i personally like holding the option key when opening a folder or a drive....i like my area clean, :).

also holding option while switching to another application. just hides it like it was never there. :)

Josh

ya, i like hiding apps too, but when switching apps, i use Command+Tab ... and Command+Option+Tab doesnt do the job i hoped it would (hide and switch)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.