First Mac, Have Questions

V

Vetteman

I just bought my gorgeous 20' Imac, which I bought for cost because I work at CompUSA. I am formerly a Vaio user, fed up with spyware, etc and I plan on using Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash for web design.

At Compusa I've sold so many Macs that I've actually convinced myself. :) This is especially after seeing my Mac customers and their satisfaction. Windows users seem much less satisfied with their experiences.

I have some questions:

I am a power user that needs quick response times and efficiency on the web for multitasking and web design.

1) Will adding a Kingston 512 mb ram chip increase the gui response and loading programs more quickly? It seems a tad bit sluggish for opening things like Safari and iTunes.

2) Can I multitask as efficiently with OS X versus Windows? I need to rapidly switch between programs- I want the best virtual ergonomics and usability. It seems like Mac users have extreme usage of key commands, vs Windows users? Is this true?

Many people say Macs are easier to learn, but Windows was never hard for me to learn anyway. I hope Mac OS isn't simpler but lacking in features and ergonomics.

I'm looking forward to my experiences with this wonderful platform, just a little daunted, temporarily :)

Please clue me in,

Thanks- Jesse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. Yes adding memory will help all of the response time. You would want to have a bare minimum 512 for what you are doing and 1gb (what I use) is very efficient.

2. Multitasking is much easier in OS X with the help of Expose. You can use expose or you can use Apple + Tab to switch through like you do in windows

OP
V

Vetteman

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

I will definately go for 768 mb of ram- especially if it speeds program opening times. I do give Apple alot of credit for their performance on just 256 megs, though; they are obviously doing something right!

I use Apple tab and love it, but how can you minimize and maximize using keycommands?

Thanks

Reaction score
I just recently purchased my first Mac, and it really has been great. I am running it with a gig of memory, and haven't noticed any problems. In general OS X is much smoother running, but it isn't as snappy as WinXP. 512MB of RAM is really the minimum for OS X. If your happy with how it runs with 256, then you'll really like it with 768MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
The memory upgrade is a must. Regarding ease of use, I find no real difference between OS X and XP. I certainly prefer OS X, how smooh it runs, expose, and the aqua look. But in opinion, they are equally easy, just different. You say your a multi-tasker, as am I, so you are going to LOVE expose. I've only had my iMac for about a week and I can't figure out how I lived my 12 PC years without it.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
A very important distinction between Mac OS X and Linux and Unix is the core. Here it's the kernel and control the root or admin user. In Windows, it's the registry, and this is indefensible. Worms edit the registry at will, modify, add and delete registry keys. This is why the endless chase for virus scan can never end and the fight for spyware is so frustrating. ;)

OP
V

Vetteman

I'm using Expose actively (from all your suggestions) for the first time and this increases my productivity 200%. I'm feeling much better about my decision! Thanks ppl

Reaction score
witeshark said:
A very important distinction between Mac OS X and Linux and Unix is the core. Here it's the kernel and control the root or admin user. In Windows, it's the registry, and this is indefensible. Worms edit the registry at will, modify, add and delete registry keys. This is why the endless chase for virus scan can never end and the fight for spyware is so frustrating. ;)
Spam? I know I've scene this post before ;)

OP
G

gdestiny

Vetteman said:
I'm using Expose actively (from all your suggestions) for the first time and this increases my productivity 200%. I'm feeling much better about my decision! Thanks ppl

i second that. i have a triple monitor XP rig (see .sig below for link) and i find expose on a single monitor better at times.

OP
V

Vetteman

Thanks guys!

I will definately get more ram. Now I think I will buy a 1 gb ram chip to give me 1.25 gb.

What is the best, most reputable brand of RAM if cost isn't much of an option?

I've heard Kingston and Corsair, but I think Apple uses Samsung as OEM. Is it OK to mix ram brands?

OP
G

gdestiny

Vetteman said:
Thanks guys!

I will definately get more ram. Now I think I will buy a 1 gb ram chip to give me 1.25 gb.

What is the best, most reputable brand of RAM if cost isn't much of an option?

I've heard Kingston and Corsair, but I think Apple uses Samsung as OEM. Is it OK to mix ram brands?

i wouldn't recommend mixing brands, even on a PC. i have heard and had first hand experience horror story regarding that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.