User Sharing

Reaction score
This is driving me nuts. I'm very Mac-ignorant. Just got an iMac. Have two log-ons (one for me, one for my wife). Have made us both administrator satus. Have put my entire music library on the computer under my sign-on. Would like to make it a shared library for all users. I have tried two methods:

1) Move the folder, then reassign:
I have tried dragging the entire library into the shared users folder. Then, I went into the preferences of iTunes under my sign-on and tried to assign this new location for the library. The music files are physically in the shared folder, but iTunes doesn't see them despite me assigning this folder under iTunes.

2) Just reassign:
With my music files in my music folder under my sign-on, I have tried reassigning the location of the library under iTunes preferences to the shared folder. iTunes goes through the process of moving the files. It takes about a minute or two. It says the new location of the files is in the shared folder. When I literally look for the files in the shared folder by clicking on my HD icon, they're not there!

What the heck?! What is the simplest way to do this??? Can someone give me a step-by-step explanation. I've looked at other posts on this, believe me. I thought I was following the directions, but it didn't work.

THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Here is the answer

Sharing your iTunes collection

The following assumes you want to keep all your iTunes music and movies on a shared folder and ensure new music is always stored there.

First, you need to consolidate your iTunes Library to a shared folder

Select the command consolidate library from the Advanced Menu. This will copy all your iTunes media to the shared folder and link the iTunes library file to it

The files will now be in the shared folder while the library.xml file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Me > Music folder of your mac.

If you want this file on the shared folder as well as well, copy it over, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now on a shared folder

Make sure everybody has read and write privileges to the new iTunes folder and the library file (i – get info on those items)

From the other account, start up itunes with the alt key pressed and select the library file in the shared folder

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Under iTunes, I clicked on File>Library>Consolidate Library. It asked me to confirm that I wanted to consolidate. It didn't ask me where or give me the option of changing the location of the consolidation. I clicked "Yes". It went through "copying library . . ." When it was done, my library is still in the same place and there is nothing in the Shared folder on the HD. It didn't actually give me the "Choose Library" option that you show in your image above. ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
sorry, you need to set the new location for the library in iTunes preferences (Advanced tab)

Then consolidate the library

Then copy the iTunes library file (its a single file in your old iTunes folder) to the shared folder

ituneslibiconsz7.png

once done, quit tunes and restart the app pressing the alt key immediately to point iTunes to the iTunes library file in the shared folder

OP
E
Reaction score
ACTUALLY, it sort of worked . . .
my wife can access and listen to my music from her sign-on, BUT she can't add any of my music to her ipod. is this some security measure that Apple has built into the system so music can't be shared? almost all of my music comes from CDs. the rest is bought off itunes (maybe 100 songs out of 4000+). it seems ridiculous that we would have to reload all the CDs just so she can have them under her sign-on. additionally, i don't want to use up the disk space to have all those duplicate files. any other solution???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.