Creating Stacks

Reaction score
I have about 7 applications that came with my Canon EOS XSi and I want to create a stack for all of these apps.

I first googled how to do this and apple says just create a folder and drag it there.... so I opened the folder where all of the Canon utilities are located and created another folder and drug all of the programs in there and drug that folder to the stack area of the dock... and perfect everything was there and seemed to work... BUT when I opened any of the apps they would instantly crash... so I drug all of the apps back into their original folders and they worked again... so obviously I cannot create my stack this way...

So I tried copying all of the apps icons and a little progress bar pops up and it copys the actual app showing that it was working on copying the 60 mb program... In the interest of saving HD space is there a way to make a "shortcut" (to borrow a windows term) to create my stack?

Reaction score
I assume that, in your Applications folder, there is a folder of Cannon utilities. Drag this folder to the right side of your dock and place it there. That should create a stack from which you can easily access those apps.

Should you ever need to create an alias of something at a different location, just hold down cmd-option and drag the item to where you need the alias.

Reaction score
It should work that way. Because I have a stack folder for a bunch of applications as well. All I have is an extra folder for applications in the Applications section, and I have them all there in one folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It sounds as though the apps are poorly written and depend on being located in /Applications.

You could create aliases to the apps, drop those in a folder and use that to create a stack instead.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I assume that, in your Applications folder, there is a folder of Cannon utilities. Drag this folder to the right side of your dock and place it there. That should create a stack from which you can easily access those apps.

Should you ever need to create an alias of something at a different location, just hold down cmd-option and drag the item to where you need the alias.

The cmd-option drag worked perfectly, I created a folder inside of the Canon Utilities folder called Canon Apps and cmd-option dragged all the programs into there and appeared to successfully created the shortcuts that work from my doc...

Thanks for all the replies !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.