New To Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum - 24" Display - 4GB RAM
Happy New Year Everyone

Well, I'm new here and this is my first post. So far I'm impressed since I just ordered my new iMac yesterday (12/30) and Fed EX was on my porch today (12/31) with my new toy. The machine itself is pretty slick. Not knowing much about iMac's I expected a tower to also accompany the monitor and when I opened the box, I was bummed thinking the driver forgot the tower. So when I finally realized what I had, I was pretty stoked...thinking more room....no more tower...no more bunches of wires etc. So I started playing and I gotta say this is going to be an adventure + learning curve.

I was strictly raised on Windows and I can honestly say I feel like I did when I got my first computer. I do photography professionally (my website Frank Lauri Photography) in my spare time (I think it's spare time) and I'm scratching my head. When I ordered, I was going to get PS Elements and the tech said they were having a special on CS 4 Extended for $169 (full version) so I jumped at that.

My son is a Mac user and he directed me to this site and basically I'm hoping for any information that can make my transition as painless as possible. I realize probably most of what I need to know is buried somewhere in these posts.....but since I'm so new to this, I'm not even sure what to look for and even ask about.

So for those who have been in my shoes at one time or another, if there is anything that you think I need to know...please point me in that direction.

Thank You In Advance
Frank Lauri

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
Welcome Frank!!!

I'm still pretty new at this too, also having used windows most of my computer life. The curve isn't that steep. Poke around, you will find lots of stuff.
This site is excellent, i've learned so much just from reading posts and doing quick searches for things i don't quite know yet. also google is your best friend.

this site
is actually very cool. it's video tutorials, which made things a little easier to follow. also these helped me a lot:

macosxhints.com - OS X tips and tricks!
and
My First Mac - Help Buying and Getting Started with Your New Mac

were kind of helpful. people here will be able to give you a ton more information than even i have, but maybe these might get you started.

anyways, welcome!!! congrats!!!! and have fun!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Reaction score
Wow, a dad who actually listens to his son's forum recommendation - that alone tells me that you'll get to grips with your Mac in no time.

Reaction score
I'm more shocked that you bought an iMac w/out actually realizing what it was...

But as previously said Google your question first then come here and ask it can save you some time...

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this yet... but it's some of the best advice for your situation ...

Forget everything you know about computers ... Do not use your new iMac thinking well on Window's I would do this ... just forget all of that and "learn" how to use a computer all over again

Good luck w/ ur new iMac I know you will love it!

I have a question for you... I am getting into photography (got an XSi w/ 18-55 & 55-250) and I have been playing with Aperture trials and PS trials and I cannot seem to figure out any of this software ... any suggestions for learning the photo editing software ?

Reaction score
Congrats on the new iMac. I'd like to know where you picked up CS4 for $169. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Hi Frank,
If you can, please buy a copy of David Pogue's Missing Manual for Leopard, it's worth it's weight in Gold.

I second this. The Missing Manual will teach you virtually everything you want to know. It's very easy to read and understand. You can find a copy in stock at almost all the major bookstores. You won't regret the purchase.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum - 24" Display - 4GB RAM
Thanks everyone for the welcome and information. I definitely have some reading and relearning to do.

Frank Lauri

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.