The little red button vs "Quit [this Application]"

Reaction score
So, here is my understanding:
(by the way i have a Macbook Pro with OS 10.5)

If an app has a window open, you can click the red x on the top (or command-w) and close the window. But that doesnt close the application. The app still takes up some ram. If you want to exit the application entirely, then you need to go to the top bar by the apple, click the name of the app, and select "Quit [name of app]" or do command-Q.

I think that is really inconvenient. Is there a way to configure my laptop (or my apps individually) to make it so that if i close the last window of an app, either through red x or command-W, that also quits the application so i dont have to worry about doing that myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Some applications do shut down after you close the last window. System Preferences, iPhoto, the calculator, and any app that will only display one window at a time will do it the Windows way.

Give it time, and I think you'll see some advantages to being able to close the windows without quitting the application. You can continue to have some apps run processes in the background while you do other things. If you want to bring the window for that particular app back up, just click the icon in the dock and it's there for you.

If you want a fast and easy way to close all the apps you don't want to have open, I suggest hitting Command-Tab to bring up the mini-dock in the middle of the screen (similar to Alt-Tab on Windows), highlight the program you want to close and hit Command-Q. I find this works really well and I can quit the applications I don't need in a matter of seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Holy crap! I never knew that!. OS X never ceases to amaze me. I never knew that. And command-Q is right next to command-Tab--that's super convenient!

Reaction score
You'll probably eventually see the benefit in not quitting an app just because you've closed its windows (faster open of subsequent documents is one). Until then, if you know that you want to quit an application, just hit command-Q instead of closing its window(s).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Get in the habit of using Alt-Tab, and then Command-Q to quickly close apps. It's really not a hassle once you let go of your Windows using habits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have one of the buttons on my Trackball mouse configured to do CMD-Q to make quitting apps easier.

Reaction score
It really is jsut a small habit change. One of the concrete cases where this is a good thing is iTunes: I can't remember the countless times on Windows that I've closed the iTunes windows and the music stopped playing as a consequence of that.

Other uses:

- Have Apple Mail download your email every half hour without having a mail window open (I keep quitting Outlook on Windows and thus don't get my mail anymore unless I open it up again).

- Keep Torrent applications running without getting in the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.