WMV, docm & docx files

Reaction score
Just got a new MBP 15 2.8 (yesterday). For some odd reason had a heck of a time setting up email. The "wizard" took forever checking the connection...then came back with no connection. But it works now!!!

Just got emailed a WMV file went to open and a text window opened with programing stuff. Tried to have it open with a specified program, Itunes,
& quicktime. Nothing. Help says that it should play on a mac.

Ported over excel spreadsheets via CD...went seamlessly. In Pages...Word not so much. Could read .DOC kinda, but no way for Word 07 files. Had to go back to the dreaded PC and convert all to .doc.

All in all I am pleased, But there is a lot to get used to that is way different. I've been in the PC world for 25+ years.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
WMV is Windows Media Player video format. You can download Flip4Mac to add this capability to your Mac.

docx and xlsx files will open with Microsoft Office for Mac. OpenOffice.org has the ability to open these as well, but best results will be with the MS Product since they are relatively new proprietary formats.

OP
S
Reaction score
Got Flip4Mac (free download @ MS). Still could not play. Though the whole point of switching was to get away from MS!

That said, is there a seamless transition from Office 2007 PC to Word 2008 Mac? I have too many word docs that use a merge file that was started 8 years ago that has been added to daily (42 pages)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got Flip4Mac (free download @ MS). Still could not play. Though the whole point of switching was to get away from MS!

That said, is there a seamless transition from Office 2007 PC to Word 2008 Mac? I have too many word docs that use a merge file that was started 8 years ago that has been added to daily (42 pages)

Office 2008 for Mac would be the easiest way to continue to use your documents without any kind of "transition" (they use the same file formats).

Also, you should really give OpenOffice.org a try. It's free and is still able to work with MS Office document types without the need for conversion. If you don't like it, you have nothing to lose but the time it took you to download it.

As far as Flip4Mac goes, I've never had a problem with WMV using it. My bet is that the video is in another format. Try installing Perian and VLC Media Player. Between the two products, one of them should be able to open that video.

OP
S
Reaction score
Actually, OpenOffice does not seem to be free. They want to charge an annual fee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I recommend VLC player as well.

I also use Office 2008 and have never had a problem opening a PC Word file.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, OpenOffice does not seem to be free. They want to charge an annual fee

It is free. Some sites try to find a sucker to sell it to, but you can download it for free here.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks all,

I ended up getting all the recommended programs. OpenOffice opened some of the docs w/no problem, but others went crazy. Pages freaked out. Office 2008 knew just what to do...it knew that it was a merged doc, etc. Numbers & OpenOffice Had no problem with my Excel 2007 files.

Thanks for all the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.