A question about torrents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
When downloading torrents, is there any file formats or anything to be aware of that could potentially harm my mac? I am new to this torrent thing and I just want to make sure before I download anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook c2d, 2.0 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB Harddrive, 16GB iPhone 3G
Before I download a torrent I read the comments by members about the torrent, the comments will usually tell you if its a good download or not. I usually only do movies and have found that certain people put out really good torrents. No point wasting all that time on a download that isnt going to work!

As far as harming your Mac I think your fine as there is no virus that is going to mess up your system, however if you file share and someone with a pc downloads the same torrent and it is infected they can get problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I downloaded "Total Video Converter 3.14" on File Sharing and it gave me a trojan, a very naughty one.

Just be careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
When searching for torrents, always use a site showing comments from the previous users who have downloaded them. They will give you a good idea what you are downloading.

OP
M
Reaction score
Andy, I am curious what you mean by a nasty trojan? Did you authenticate the application with your admin password or did the trojan just manifest itself somehow? Because I had thought that a mac could not be harmed unless you authenticate the install with your admin password... Thanks for the responses so far guys.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
careful. talking about illegal downloading is frowned upon here, and will get you into big trouble with the staff.

especially when an actual example of pay-to-play software is noted.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well said, eric. We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.