New and wondering about installed programs

Reaction score
I am a new Mac user - just bought my MacBook yesterday. I was under the assumption that Macs came with plenty of installed software - hence the price. I really want a program to work with photos, but I can't find anything on here like that.:Grimmace: I remember when I bought my Sony VIAO, it came with a nice, free (albeit abridged) version of Photoshop. It was awesome. Alas.. my MB doesn't appear to have anything remotely like it.

Does anyone know of a good Photo-ish Mac program I can get free or at a reasonable cost ? I went to the MAC site but it's just demo versions, and/or with programs that do specific tasks. I would buy Photoshop... but $700 is out of my range now.

Thanks.

Reaction score
not sure exactly what you are looking for, as the mac should have iPhoto installed. It has a nice set of editing tools for basic home users. If you are looking for something more powerful, you could buy Photoshop Elements (not sure of the cost) or try the free photoshop-like program called GIMP. Here is a link:

GIMP

Hope this helps...

OP
ghostcinderella
Reaction score
GIMP!!! That's the one! I remember using that on a friend's PC. I'll do that.. and check out elements. Cheers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd also HIGHLY recommend Pixelmator. At $59, it's a steal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
Another rec for PixelMator here - for the casual user its excellent - I picked it up as part of the MacHeist deal last time round - total bargain!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I really like Pixelmator, But PS elements is the best bang for the buck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.