How can I surf internet safely in wi-fi locations?

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Aluminum MacBook Pro and would like to use it on vacation in my hotel and at public wi-fi locations. I am nervous about access to my information on my laptop. Can you recommend any ways for me to protect my information? Is there a security program I should purchase? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
You can always use the features on Safari and Firefox called 'Private Browsing'

By default your browsers will give info on your laptop, but it's really no more than Browser Type, OS Type, etc...

About people accessing your computer, you can tell your firewall (System Pref > Security > Firewall > Set Access for specific services and applications)

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You can always use the features on Safari and Firefox called 'Private Browsing'

By default your browsers will give info on your laptop, but it's really no more than Browser Type, OS Type, etc...

About people accessing your computer, you can tell your firewall (System Pref > Security > Firewall > Set Access for specific services and applications)

Hope this helps!

Private Browsing feature will not help with WiFi security. Basically all it does is not cache anything on your computer. Anything sent on the network is the same.

Only thing you can really do is only connect to trusted WiFi spots. ATT or TMobile hotspots. The program in the previous post seems pretty good and you should try that out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.