• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing setup question

Reaction score
I recently bought a canon HG20 (hard drive) and need some advice as to the best way to get video from the camera to my Mac Pro. I have the software I need for editing (Premiere Pro), but am not sure what the best method to connect the camera. It came with RCA and component cables. What is the best device to connect the camera to my Mac Pro which would then allow me to import and edit my videos?

Reaction score
Got the same camera. If you open Imovie, it should automatically open a import window once the camera is connected. Oh and you can connect the camera via USB. It's on the left side of the camera when you open the viewer.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks. Once I get the video into imovie, can I then import it into Premiere Pro?

Reaction score
You should be able to. I think that you can export it to a different program. I know it has the option to export it to final cut studio...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Read you Premiere manual. I would think it to can import via USB. Well, at least if it the current version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.18MHz
Following your thread, I have a Panasonic HDC-DX1, I bought an external DVD writer/reader to conect to my MacBook Pro and avoid the need to connect the camera. I don't know what files have to be imported into iMOVIE. Can it be done like this or is it easier to connect the camcorder and directly try to download the clips from the playing mode?

Thanks
Raul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.