Max Storage

G

GotMac?

Whats the highest sized hdd that a g4 with OSX would reconize? like i know windows xp will not see a full 250gig without it being partitioned, if i wanna drop in a 300gb drive would a G4 with OSX see the full 300gb? thanks

OP
W

Wapa18

which g4 powermac do you have? because only the ones with the ATA/133 interface will recognize the full volume. and that interface was only in the last g4 powermacs (mirrored-drive door).

Reaction score
GotMac? said:
Whats the highest sized hdd that a g4 with OSX would reconize? like i know windows xp will not see a full 250gig without it being partitioned, if i wanna drop in a 300gb drive would a G4 with OSX see the full 300gb? thanks
A patch, or SP must have changed this. I have a 300GB drive in a WinXP Pro server of mine and it recognizes the whole drive.

OP
G

GotMac?

probably cause it is sever, but yeah i have a older mac, it is a 400mhz cpu, which will be upgraded soon i hope, But do you know how much it will recognize up to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
My desktop running XP sees my 300GB hard drive also.

OP
G

gdestiny

GotMac? said:
you may be referring to the XP *boot* drive. XP w/ NTFS should be able to see HDD into the TB range.

OP
G

GotMac?

ok sweet, well, my friend running xp pro, his machine will not see over 200 without partitioning it, but that doesn't really matter, cause i wanna know how big a drive can go into a mac. Basicly, will a g4 400mhz read a full 250 gigs? i wanna put like 2 inside it.

OP
W

Wapa18

GotMac? said:
Basicly, will a g4 400mhz read a full 250 gigs? i wanna put like 2 inside it.

no, it won't read it. it's because your mac doesn't use ata-133, which is what is needed to recognize that size of a drive. it will only recognize it as 128 gigs, i believe. it should work if you partition in segments no bigger than that, though.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
GotMac? said:
ok sweet, well, my friend running xp pro, his machine will not see over 200 without partitioning it, but that doesn't really matter, cause i wanna know how big a drive can go into a mac. Basicly, will a g4 400mhz read a full 250 gigs? i wanna put like 2 inside it.

Whether or not the full drive space is available is not a function of XP (or any other OS for that matter) but of the BIOS combined with the IDE controller hardware. Sometimes all that is required is a BIOS upgrade but if the motherboard is ancient (in the PC world ancient is about 2 years old ;)) then the easiest fix is to replace it.

Unfortunately with Apple motherboards (or logic boards as they call them) they are not usually something you can replace as they are designed to fit a specific case.

It's a bit like the difference between an Xbox and a PC, you can replace virtually everything in a PC as many times as you like (mine are on at least the 3rd iteration of everything in them apart from the PSU) but with the Xbox you are pretty much stuck with what came in it unless you want to do some major surgery. The same goes for laptops for that matter.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.