New Mac Member!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Hey Everyone!

Well, me and my mother went to CompUSA to just check out th Macs today and well they had this deal going on that if you go with their credit and purchase a Mac that's over $999 you get no interest and no payments until March 2005 (18months). Well guess what I baught :D

The 1.8GHz G5 w00t w00t!!!! I'm so happy! I couldn't afford the sweet monitor so I'm just using my ViewSonic 17" monitor, but it doesn't look bad.

It's awesome guys, I mean, I don't know it's just sooo cool!! I'm a first time mac'er and it's just sweet.

My only complaint... my mouse even when I set the speed to fastest still goes accross the screen kind of slow... but I'm sure i'll get over that.

And now for a question! The picture I atached, it has the picture for the AirPort the little waves or whatnot, but it looks like (I didn't try it) it will fit in the BlueTeeth port... could I use that little antenna thing for the blueteeth? Or... well, what is that?

Thanks!

sKaD

airport.jpg

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
blueTOOTH ;)
And no, if you didnt get bluetooth you cant get bluetooth, its built into the logic board or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Congratulations!! Wahoo! Im envious :) Ok.. no the airport will not work with the bluetooth, two completely different technologies. Your airport will hook up to any wireless network, while the bluetooth allows you to transfer files, etc etc, kind of like USB/Firewire, but without any wires :) I use my bluetooth to communicate between my laptop and my cell phone. You will probably need to get the bluetooth antenna for that port.. I couldnt really see what kind of port it is using, but a little research on google should help you :)

Actually I just did a search on Apple's site:
http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

It seems that it might already be bluetooth enabled.. does anyone else know more about it then I do? It's not very clear, at least to me, how exactly it is working... I know I bought an external bluetooth adapter that plugs into my usb port.. anyone?

Cheers!

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I could get a closer picture of the ports if you wish. The site said it's got the Airport Antenna. Nothing about BlueTooth (sorry for misspelling earlier). So I guess I have to get a BlooTooth Antenna also? I wonder how much it would cost me...

I want to connect to my cell phone also, that's why I was asking. And that picture is from my phone (cameraphone) so that's why it's a little fuzzy.

sKaD

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
sKaD said:
I could get a closer picture of the ports if you wish. The site said it's got the Airport Antenna. Nothing about BlueTooth (sorry for misspelling earlier). So I guess I have to get a BlooTooth Antenna also? I wonder how much it would cost me...

I want to connect to my cell phone also, that's why I was asking. And that picture is from my phone (cameraphone) so that's why it's a little fuzzy.

sKaD
I just said: You can't. THe bluetooth is built into the logic board. Too late. I think...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I agree with Mac dude after looking over the specs a little harder.. you still might be able to do what I did and just use an external bluetooth gidgit in one of your usb ports.. I only put it in the port when I actually need it, that way it doesnt take up one of your usb ports all the time...

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Here's a close up of the port. It looks like it's there. But I guess it's not? Meaning the port can be there but it's not built on the inside?

sKaD

Ports.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess.. Im really not sure how that works :( I am a decent hardware guy, but my strength definitely lies in software.. It seems like if they have the port then it woudl be built in, but then again.. maybe you could purchase whatever is missing.. Hopefully someone else with a bit more knowledge of this will post a reply, Don't expect anything until Monday or so though since the weekend this forum goes dead. Which is a good thing.. it means some people have lives.. now where did I place mine.. hmmm.. Ill be back when I lose it again! :) Just wait for a more knowledgeable post or call your apple dealer.. they should definitely know :)

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
K, Thanks.

Do you have AIM by any chance?

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah sure do, but am seldom ever on it :) Hard to get work done with it on :)

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
No BlueTooth

Well, found out I don't have BlooTooth. Screen Shot attatched.

sKaD

p.s. That's very true Murlyn.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there you go! I would talk to your Apple guy to find out if you can upgrade your G5 so that it can use bluetooth or just get that USB bluetooth adapter..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.