thinking of buying mac

Reaction score
hey guys (and gals). first off let me introduce myself. names dream and im new to the forum and to macs. i have been working with PC's for well over 10 years now and for the last year or so i have been contemplating a mac. more specifically a macbook or macbook pro.

now my question to all you is which would better suit my needs. i mainly use my computer to manage my music collection (well over 160 gb all of which is stored on an external hd formatted for windows) i also surf the web, some minor video editing and photoediting. i am game on occasion, usualy simulators, ie. simcity, sims, flgiht simulator, ect.

im looking for something that will suit my needs and will last awhile. my last computer (sony viao) died after only 2.5 years.

right now i am leaning towards the macbook over the macbook pro just because of price. what do you guys think? also will i be able to convert all of my music over to mac?

thanks, dream

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think the macbook is fine, especially since the new ones have a proper video card (its what I intend to buy if I get a bonus)

As foe age, I am looking to replace this G4 desktop, that has been with me for 6 years and would happily keep going if video encoding wasn't becoming a big issue.

For your music, you may have problems with read only access if all that is stored on an NTFS drive, but you may want to either reformat your music drive or let the PC share it over SMB, but you can ask the music question again when it comes to it

Have a look at the switchers forum and especially the stickies to get an idea of the delights and issues when switching to a mac

OP
Reaction score
would i benefit any if i waited for a few months. i heard rumors that updates are coming...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
the portable line has just been updated, so any major updates are likely for the desktop MacPro and iMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.