AIM for Mac

S

Spaceboy88

I made the switch this week. I was sick and tired of my PC crashing and having problems. Got me a mini and am LOVING it.

My question is on AOL Instant Messenger. It looks very similar to the one I'm use to on my WIndows Machine, but instead of the normal screen names that I'm used to (and prefer), I'm seeing real names for some users. How can I fix this to show just their screen names?

Thanks for any help :p .

-Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
My suggestion is why don't you just use iChat instead of the crappy AIM client?

OP
I

itsmeee

its getting the names out of your address book most likely. i believe in iChat you can right click on a name and click "get info". From the drop down list you can select address card and remove the first and last name. That should make it revert to the sn (just make sure it isn't doing that to the address cards).

Reaction score
I like iChat as well. The only problem with it is it doesn't support AIM profiles. That's a pretty big draw back for regular AIM users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Spaceboy88 said:
I made the switch this week. I was sick and tired of my PC crashing and having problems. Got me a mini and am LOVING it.

My question is on AOL Instant Messenger. It looks very similar to the one I'm use to on my WIndows Machine, but instead of the normal screen names that I'm used to (and prefer), I'm seeing real names for some users. How can I fix this to show just their screen names?

Thanks for any help :p .

-Tim

my guess is address book.

and yes u can change fonts, go to your preferences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
One nice thing about AIM is the buddy list is on their servers. So switching to iChat is instantly done :alien:

Reaction score
Use Adium. 20 times better than AIM, 15 times better than Trillian and 10 times better than iChat!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Both Adium & Proteus are great if you have more than say an AIM account. I have friends on 4 services, Yahoo, AIM, MSN and ICQ so the multi clients are perfect for me. On the PC I used Trillian and loved it so when I went to OSX the first I found was Proteus. I really prefer Proteus to anything else but it costs $$$. For a Free multi chat client Adium is good as is Fire like someone above already mentioned.

But, If I am just going to chat with my friends on AIM I prefer Ichat to all of them. Like a lot of Mac people say, "It just Works" and works well. I have had the best luck at sending pictures to my PC friends with IChat. None of the others including the real AOL AIM are as good behind all my firewalls here. IChat works everytime and with every buddy.

OP
V

VictoryRose

dtravis7 said:
Like a lot of Mac people say, "It just Works" and works well. I have had the best luck at sending pictures to my PC friends with IChat. None of the others including the real AOL AIM are as good behind all my firewalls here. IChat works everytime and with every buddy.

that's one of the main reasons i use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I said Adium is the best, because it has ALL of the features AIM does, PLUS things like renaming people the way you want (I prefer that over screen names), or just leaving the screen names there. You can customize it endlessly and it's free.

OP
G

grapejuice12

Here's a newbie question.

How do you set up the buddy groups in ichat to display like in aim. I'd like to see my buddies sorted by group in one window. Thnx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
grapejuice12 said:
Here's a newbie question.

How do you set up the buddy groups in ichat to display like in aim. I'd like to see my buddies sorted by group in one window. Thnx

To the best of my knowledge, you can't, which is one of the reasons why I still use AIM (or even Adium).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.