What is the best way to organize my photos in iphoto

Reaction score
Ok, I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Anyway, I'm working on a photography project where I take a picture of myself everyday for a year. Each day I end up with 20-30 images, and then I pick the best one, edit it a bit, and save it. Now that I switched between windows and a mac, I wonder what would be the best way to organize the photos to get the most out of the mac. On windows, its organized: My documents>My digital photos>365>Day#>individual pics. And that was fine for windows, but I just feel like when I see it on my mac, it's so basic and hard to manage (especially when compared to the events/albums in iphoto.) So basically, I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to organize this to get the most visually appealing yet practical set up.

Reaction score
I'm not sure why Finder is hard to manage at all. Personally, I find iPhoto to be a great way to organize my pictures. I suppose if you do embark on this project, you could import your everyday pictures into iPhoto, and then arrange them into events that is grouped by, say, months. So perhaps you have twelve events in your iPhoto with thirty or thirty one pictures in each event. I suppose that is the best way to deal with your collection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
I was going to suggest making an event and inside that event making a new event for a photo everyday, however I have just discovered you can't do that. But that is the best way I would say to do it, so maybe you can find a way, I don't know, but the way you organized it on Windows was the best way possible I think.

But for being visually appealing and practical iPhoto would probably be the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" recyclable MacBook Pro - Go Green!
I find that organizing the photos in Windows was much cleaner and easier than iPhoto. I use Picasa on Windows..and when I move it on Picasa, the actual location on the HD also moves.
On Mac, I find that events dont map one-one with the HD folders.
So I end up having copies in multiple folders.

Reaction score
There are some pretty decent tutorials on Apple's web site about organizing photos with iPhoto. I'd start there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
How about this, you take the photos each day and import those as events, then create an album for each month day etc and then just add the wanted photos into the album.

Good luck with the project

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
And stay out of the finder! Do all your organizing within the iPhoto app! You don't need multiple versions/folders of the photos -- just a space hog.

Import your daily photos into iPhoto, then each day "merge" the new photo to the existing event. Ultimately, you will have one event with all photos. Or, if you want it broken down even more, create a folder ("File"> New folder) named "2009" for instance, then for each month, create an album -- "January, February, etc. Move those albums to the 2009 folder and all will be organized just as you want. Even easier, you could keyword each photo and make smart albums instead. Keyword all January's pics with "January" and have your smart album recognize that. Then all January pictures will automatically go into that smart album! iPhoto organizes your photos for you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.