Attempting to install windows xp....

Reaction score
So I have a windows xp sp3 disc. I turned on boot camp, partitioned 32 gigs for my window partition. I then proceeded to install windows.

the steps came up press __key for RAID driver etc...

then it prompted me to select which partition to install windows in, and i selected the bootcamp partition.

it continued to install and then in the middle of coppying files the screen goes grey (like it is restarting).

It restarts, loads up and says "disk error press any key to restart"

What is causing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Did you make sure it was formatted in NTFS? I've installed XP SP3, Vista Ultimate a few times on a Bootcamp Partition, and never had any problems.

OP
J
Reaction score
You can't use fat 32 for SP3? its formatted as FAT32, how do you make an NTFS partition with bootcamp tool?

As soon as i selected the partition the computer restarted before it asked me to specify what kind of file system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I would suggest to just delete the partition in Bootcamp, and re-create it. Then it will be just a RAW DATA partition. Why would you want to format as FAT32 for a Bootcamp partition? FAT32 has a MAX file size of 4GB

OP
J
Reaction score
I would suggest to just delete the partition in Bootcamp, and re-create it. Then it will be just a RAW DATA partition. Why would you want to format as FAT32 for a Bootcamp partition? FAT32 has a MAX file size of 4GB

I was just gonna use it to run a few windows games, a DRM music service i use, and to do a few other random windows only tasks. I don't deal with files over 4 gigs much, and if i did it'd probably be movie related, and that'd i'd only do on the mac side. I wanted to have a way to easily move data from one partition to the other, and NTFS can choke that up.

I downloaded the parallels desktop trial, and it seems that this windows disc might be corrupt or damaged, as it is failing to install...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.