deleting application?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook c2d, 2.0 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB Harddrive, 16GB iPhone 3G
I recently downloaded protectmac antivirus for my macbook. (yes i know i dont need it, just messing around) I have deleted the application but it seems to still be running, I cannot run the program, but it still runs in the background, and the icon for it still stays in the running applications at the top. is there another file that i need to delete?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1Ghz 1.5GB RAM 160GB HDD 10.5 Leopard
It's still running from the Trash.

Launch Activity Monitor and quit the process then empty your trash.

OP
jkuch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive tried that also. Everytime I restart my laptop the app starts again, I always quit the processs, just dont understand why the app is still there after deleting it? I cant find the program anywhere else . I can click on the icon in the staus bar, and it drops down a menu to check for updates, I can also click on my drives and go under the "more" tab and scan the drives, but none of those work because the app is gone. There has to be another folder or something somewhere that I am missing. I have checked the harddrive and cant find any files anywhere, the only place the app would still be is on my time machine backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download a utility such as AppTrap, reinstall and then drag it to the trash. AppTrap and similar remove all files.

AppTrap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
A friend of mine suggested using a utility called " easyfind". I used it after I dragged an application to App Zapper and it found more files for that application than App Zapper did. It worked pretty good. So now I do a search in spotlight first and then search for the app in easyfind. Easyfind finds stuff that spotlight doesn't show.

OP
jkuch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I installed app trap and after restarting my laptop the process still starts:Grimmace: . ProtectMac AntiVirus Agent is the process that just doesnt wanna go away. Doesnt affect my performance any, I just dont want it on my laptop anymore, and nothing shows up in spotlight when I search for it

OP
jkuch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A friend of mine suggested using a utility called " easyfind". I used it after I dragged an application to App Zapper and it found more files for that application than App Zapper did. It worked pretty good. So now I do a search in spotlight first and then search for the app in easyfind. Easyfind finds stuff that spotlight doesn't show.

Just tried this too, the application still starts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
System Prefs > Accounts > Your Account > Log In Items >

Remove the App in question, then do a Spotlight search for the App and delete anything that has to do with it.

Restart.

OP
jkuch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
System Prefs > Accounts > Your Account > Log In Items >

Remove the App in question, then do a Spotlight search for the App and delete anything that has to do with it.

Restart.

Doesnt show up there either. Im really lost as to how this app keeps running even though it has been deleted and I havent been able to locate any file linked to that app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
cant you do a restore before you had the program??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.