"Finder" settings

Reaction score
When I open up Finder, I have the option to access my media files...Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures. By default, they store these items on the system drive. I have a second HD that I would like these items to be on. How to I make these icons (Doc,movies,mus,pic) link to folders on the other drive?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
just copy them by drag and dropping to the otyher drive, then control click them and click make alias and put those aliases on the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You can add items to the sidebar in Finder windows by dragging them there.

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
So you can't customize the location of the music icon that is already in there. I can see that you can add folders, but under my name, there is already a music folder there. I would like to change the destination of this directory?

I guess I found my first Mac OS limitation. That kinda sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you could try setting these folders you create on the other hd as startup items so you can
have them when yor mac starts up.

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
Is there a way for me to change the icon of my folders? Currently the default music/movies/pictures... folders have special icons. Could I setup folders on my second HD and give them these same icons. I want to keep the icons so it is easier to find what I'm looking for in Finder when I put links there.

Reaction score
You can take any icon from a folder and place it on another one like this:
1.click once on the folder and then goto 'File' in the menu bar then 'Get info' (apple+i on the keyboard)
2.In the window that appears klick on the icon just under 'General'. Then click on 'edit' in the menu bar goto 'copy' in the roll down menu and click on it (apple+c)

3.click on the folder where you would like the icon to be placed and do the 'get info' (apple+i) thing again.When the window appears click on the icon under general again and goto 'edit in the menu and click on 'paste' (apple+V)

this should paste the icon onto the new folder. If their was already a custom icon on the folder then you may have to log out and back in again for changes to take effect. You can get loads of cool icons from www.macmonkies.com and www.resexcellence.com who also have information and programs for doing stuff with icons.

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
You are the man!

That was exactly what I was looking to do. Thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

-David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Avid6eek said:
…I guess I found my first Mac OS limitation. That kinda sucks.

You need to apologize to Mr. Jobs. :rolleyes:

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
Well...I've found another limitiation....connectivity is a key part of computing these days, and OS X can't FTP correctly.

If you can fix that one for me, I'll apologize ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Avid6eek said:
…OS X can't FTP correctly…

What are you calling "FTP correctly"?

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
I can read, and pull files from an FTP site, but as soon as I try to put files up on the site, I get a permissions error. There is no real permissions error.

G

guerom00

That's right : if you FTP with the Finder, you cannot put files on the remote server.
To get and put files, either you use the command line (Terminal) or you use a third party FTP program (try to search FTP in VersionTracker)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.