Airport Express for Blu-ray player on FIOS

Reaction score
My main goal is to add wireless networking capability to a Sony BDP-350 blu-ray player on a Verizon FIOS network. If possible, I would like to use the Airport Express as it provides the added ability to stream music to an amplifier. Using a standard wireless game adapter, which I have often seen suggested, would for the same price not provide this feature.

In spending quite sometime researching this, I have seen it mentioned that the Airport Express would need to operate as a bridge. The Actiontec router that is provided by Verizon does not, to my knowledge, provide this feature. Even if there were another setting that the Airport could use, I have heard that compatibility issues do exist with some routers. Does anyone know if my proposed solution would work, and if not, what would solve this issue?

Unfortunately this would be a gift and I do not have the model number of the router itself. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

OP
B
Reaction score
I am not trying to replace the actiontec as a router. The problem is that the blu-ray player offers only a wired connection. As the router and blu-ray player are on separate floors of the house, I would like to use the airport express or something similar to provide the blu-ray player with a wireless capability.

People have suggested bridging the connection, but the actiontec router does not offer that capability.

OP
B
Reaction score
My Solution

Well, in case anyone else is wondering. I ended up not using the airport, but instead purchased a belkin powerline starter kit. The price was equivalent and it just worked. There was no real setup to be done other than to plug in each of the adapters. My only hiccup was in getting the blu-ray player to recognize the network it was on. After fiddling with the router settings for a few minutes I got it to work just fine. I'm not sure what I did exactly to make it work, but it was probably just restarting both the router and the blu-ray player. Powerline may not be the cheapest option out there but it seems to work great for a sticky situation like this one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. Many of us (myself included) are on a FIOS system and while it's great for most things (speed especially) it's a pain to setup for wireless projects. And the thing doesn't work right if you have an ElGato EyeTV adapter. :Angry-Tongue:

Anyway, glad to hear you're up and running!

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.