Repartitioning in Boot Camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 in. BMB, 2.16GHz Intel Duo, GMA950, 1GB RAM, 150GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.5.4
Hey guys,

I got a few viruses on my old partition and it got so bad that I had to erase the whole partition. I did the whole restore thing on the boot camp assistant, but now when I want to repartition it, (see picture 1).
It tells me to go into disk utility and reformat it, but it is already formatted as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) disk. (see picture 2)
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
PaztheSpaz

View attachment Picture 1.pdf

View attachment Picture 2.pdf

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This occurs quite often especially after restoring the entire drive to OS X.

First picture: You need to remove drive fragmentation. Several ways to do it: 1. Erase and re-install everything. 2. Special software. See here.

Second picture: Problem will go away after you solve the first. :D

Regards.

OP
PaztheSpaz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 in. BMB, 2.16GHz Intel Duo, GMA950, 1GB RAM, 150GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.5.4
1. Erase and re-install everything.

Do you mean backing up my data to an external drive, wiping the HD, and then putting all the data back?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you mean backing up my data to an external drive, wiping the HD, and then putting all the data back?

Yes, that's exactly what you would have to do in order to eliminate the fragmentation. A complete re-install of OS X and restoring your data. The other option is to use software to remove the fragmentation= iDefrag. However, iDefrag is not inexpensive. :(

Unfortunately, unlike Windows there is no free defragmentation application available for OS X.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.