new ibook!

V

VictoryRose

i got a powermac g5 in early december and this morning ordered an ibook. i'm spoiling myself, but as a windows user up until a month ago, i can truly say mac has taken over my life. anyways, i was just wondering if anyone on here has a 12' ibook and what i can expect from it.

OP
D

Desolate One

Congrats! It's good to spoil yourself ever now and then. The iBook is great! I have the 14" model and now that's the only computer I use.

OP
V

VictoryRose

i'm really looking forward to it. ever since i've switched to mac my computer geek level has skyrocketed. it's pretty much all i think about or do. **** i love my life.

OP
D

Desolate One

VictoryRose said:
i'm really looking forward to it. ever since i've switched to mac my computer geek level has skyrocketed. it's pretty much all i think about or do. **** i love my life.

I've always been a computer geek, now I can vent that geekness far more proficiently!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Yeah, dang these addictive macs! I used to spend all of me free time and money on my car, now I find myself splitting that with my Mac. Yet another expensive hobby, my girlfriend is overjoyed. :( ;)

-Chris

OP
D

Desolate One

bassplayrr said:
Yeah, dang these addictive macs! I used to spend all of me free time and money on my car, now I find myself splitting that with my Mac. Yet another expensive hobby, my girlfriend is overjoyed. :( ;)

-Chris

HA, Same here! I think Subarus hate Macs.

Reaction score
Had my ibook g3 14" for a year or so now, take it everywhere even when i'm camping out. Its never let me down and is a great machine and so quiet, void of hairdrying noises, makes a good lap heater as well, handy for in the winter.

OP
I

itsmeee

i've had a 12" iBook since late last summer. Mine is the 1Ghz G4, i upgraded to 768mbs of mem, and it has bluetooth, airport, superdrive, and the 40gb hd.

So far what I've experienced is random really hot girls walking up to me at coffee shops and commenting on hot cute it is. I've had hardcore PC users won over because while there laptops crash and they need a bag just for the wires i just sit down and plug some headphones in and go.

Your going to have a great experience the iBook G4 is more then adiquate for most photoshop jobs, some gaming, and actually i'd suggest it for everything but movie editing :)

Its been abused in some horrible ways from poolballs flying off tables and hitting the back of its screen (which caused it to go to sleep but a quick close and open of the lid woke it back up and i went on playing my game with nary a snag), to water leaking in my backpack and soaking it (which it was fine about). Its also been in a car crash where i was rear ended and shoved under a semi in front of me. Every morning it wakes me up with some cheerful music and it takes me through my classes my free time and then back home for some relaxing music, games, or research. Whenever i leave the house without it i need something from sherlock (movie times etc) and wish i had brought it so now it goes everywhere with me!

Really the only thing I could complain about with it is you get PC users who laugh, which then you have to do something like run expose and they keel over in amazement; and the linux crowd who are annoyed because...well just because i haven't figured that one out, maybe it just is to easy??

Basically your going to have a good friend for the next couple years :)

OP
V

VictoryRose

itsmeee said:
i've had a 12" iBook since late last summer. Mine is the 1Ghz G4, i upgraded to 768mbs of mem, and it has bluetooth, airport, superdrive, and the 40gb hd.

So far what I've experienced is random really hot girls walking up to me at coffee shops and commenting on hot cute it is. I've had hardcore PC users won over because while there laptops crash and they need a bag just for the wires i just sit down and plug some headphones in and go.

Your going to have a great experience the iBook G4 is more then adiquate for most photoshop jobs, some gaming, and actually i'd suggest it for everything but movie editing :)

Its been abused in some horrible ways from poolballs flying off tables and hitting the back of its screen (which caused it to go to sleep but a quick close and open of the lid woke it back up and i went on playing my game with nary a snag), to water leaking in my backpack and soaking it (which it was fine about). Its also been in a car crash where i was rear ended and shoved under a semi in front of me. Every morning it wakes me up with some cheerful music and it takes me through my classes my free time and then back home for some relaxing music, games, or research. Whenever i leave the house without it i need something from sherlock (movie times etc) and wish i had brought it so now it goes everywhere with me!

Really the only thing I could complain about with it is you get PC users who laugh, which then you have to do something like run expose and they keel over in amazement; and the linux crowd who are annoyed because...well just because i haven't figured that one out, maybe it just is to easy??

Basically your going to have a good friend for the next couple years :)

wow, you've just made me really excited...my only concern now is the posts im reading about the bending of the screen, does anyone have any comments on that?

OP
J

jbsengineer

VictoryRose said:
wow, you've just made me really excited...my only concern now is the posts im reading about the bending of the screen, does anyone have any comments on that?

quick tip. i just did it tonight. get the sidetrack control panel for your trackpad. and program one of the corners to do expose. SOO AWESOME. makes my pc laptop look like a sad sorry pile of junk, :)!

anyway. i was one of the contributors in the display bend forum. i did end up upgrading my ibook to a powerbook. but i'm very very picky about stuff like that. it was honestly just a little bend on the plastic. i think i may have overreacted a little. there was no display damage whatsoever. and i think the bend could worsen overtime. but it would take a long time to get to something severe. i notice on my powerbook to the stress is appied to the same area. but the metal just simply bends back versus the plastic which sustains the bend.

good luck and enjoy your iBook. i sure loved mine. i got a Tucano case. I love it!

Josh

OP
V

VictoryRose

jbsengineer said:
quick tip. i just did it tonight. get the sidetrack control panel for your trackpad. and program one of the corners to do expose. SOO AWESOME. makes my pc laptop look like a sad sorry pile of junk, :)!

anyway. i was one of the contributors in the display bend forum. i did end up upgrading my ibook to a powerbook. but i'm very very picky about stuff like that. it was honestly just a little bend on the plastic. i think i may have overreacted a little. there was no display damage whatsoever. and i think the bend could worsen overtime. but it would take a long time to get to something severe. i notice on my powerbook to the stress is appied to the same area. but the metal just simply bends back versus the plastic which sustains the bend.

good luck and enjoy your iBook. i sure loved mine. i got a Tucano case. I love it!

Josh

cool, but i'm still a bit worried, i'm a perfectionist, what can i say? i'm also a little unclear on what actually happens that makes it bend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.