First shots from new dslr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
And the beautiful part is that you can downsize and it doesn't matter what ISO you're shooting at.

ISO 1600

ISO 4000

ISO 3200

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Awesome picture of the dog! What kind of dSLR? I am buying one this weekend for a trip to CA. It will be my first dSLR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree, that shot of the dog is just beautiful.

What is the first picture of? I can't seem to figure it out

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I agree, that shot of the dog is just beautiful.

What is the first picture of? I can't seem to figure it out

The first shot is just the lights in my kitchen. I've been playing around since yesterday. I'm about to go take some real pictures though. Full Frame + wide apertures = great DOF. Plus it doesn't hurt that it was downsized from 21mp, so I won't have to do a lot of sharpening for web sized photos. I am going to have to throw out my portfolio and start over. Everything looks so good coming from this beast.

Awesome picture of the dog! What kind of dSLR? I am buying one this weekend for a trip to CA. It will be my first dSLR.

Canon 5D MKII :)

I was using my Canon 24-70 f/2.8L on it for most of the evening. I'm going to play with some of the other lenses I have today. The 15mm FE is going to be fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The first shot is just the lights in my kitchen. I've been playing around since yesterday. I'm about to go take some real pictures though. Full Frame + wide apertures = great DOF. Plus it doesn't hurt that it was downsized from 21mp, so I won't have to do a lot of sharpening for web sized photos. I am going to have to throw out my portfolio and start over. Everything looks so good coming from this beast.

Canon 5D MKII :)

I was using my Canon 24-70 f/2.8L on it for most of the evening. I'm going to play with some of the other lenses I have today. The 15mm FE is going to be fun.
I was just about to say that must be a pretty nice camera to take images that nice at ISO3200.

Looks brilliant, now we want to see some video...

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm going to try and play with the video function tonight. I've recorded a bit, but deleted everything so far. I've never really messed with it much. Plus I have to go pick up the discs. I left them in the box at my parent's place. I just swapped out my cameras in the bag.

Here's one from Antietam with the Canon 15mm f/2.8 FE.

Reaction score
I wish you could get quality pictures like those above without having a big bulky DSLR.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I wish you could get quality pictures like those above without having a big bulky DSLR.

If that ever happens, it's going to be years off. That's due to the sensor being about the size of a frame of 35mm film and the optics in the glass. Unless they start making P&S with manual controls, large sensors, and apertures of f/.9, then it's probably never going to happen.

That's why Olympus has to have glass with apertures of f/2.0 compared to the exact same lenses from other brands that have apertures of f/2.8 or so, the sensor is much smaller than normal and won't achieve the same DOF unless they have wider apertures. P&S cameras have sensors even smaller than the 4/3rd's sensor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Those are great shots. I really appreciate the DOF offered w/that lens. Mucho fun ! The detail on the dog is fantastic, especially at that ISO. How high can you go before seeing noise ? BTW, did you use any post production noise reduction or are those straight out of the camera ?

Doug

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have imagenomic but I try not to use it. Didn't use it on those.

Seeing noise is relative to how you shoot. I can get noise at ISO 100 if I tried. I was comfortably shooting between 1600-6400 last night. It has two hi modes, but they're software pushed and no the sensor sensitivity increased.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Totally outstanding. Very impressed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Seeing noise is relative to how you shoot. I can get noise at ISO 100 if I tried.

I'm curious about this statement and would like to be enlightened, if you wouldn't mind ? I've only ever found that the noise I see associated with ISO sensitivity increases as you jack the ISO levels up.

Doug

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
PowerShot G10, anyone?

It's a great cameras and David Hobby, the writer of the Strobist blog rocks the G9 on occasion since it has a hot shoe. You'd never be able to tell from some of his pictures what camera it is. But then again, it's the lighting that does that. There's still limitations though and you're not going to get the quality and high ISO performance out of a G10 that you would from a Full Frame camera.

I'm curious about this statement and would like to be enlightened, if you wouldn't mind ? I've only ever found that the noise I see associated with ISO sensitivity increases as you jack the ISO levels up.

Doug

Of course, as ISO goes up, so does noise, but noise is always there. The below shot is a crop of a photo shot at ISO 100. If you look at the black space to the right, you'll see noise. You'll have to click on it to go to flickr, then view the large file.

Noise is created by underexposure. Some cameras hide it better than others, but if you're shooting under the right conditions, you can see noise anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course, as ISO goes up, so does noise, but noise is always there. The below shot is a crop of a photo shot at ISO 100. If you look at the black space to the right, you'll see noise. You'll have to click on it to go to flickr, then view the large file.

Noise is created by underexposure. Some cameras hide it better than others, but if you're shooting under the right conditions, you can see noise anywhere.

Oh, ok.. sure. Gotcha. Though this likely isn't an issue for most average Joe shooters since it's sort of an expectation thing for a lot of cameras, to show noise at some ISO levels. I guess my question then is:

Relative to not so good lighting, but having a proper tripod setup, how far can you push it before you see a significant amount of noise ? And by significant, I mean anything which would deem an 11-14" print un-doable without a good amount of post processing.

Doug

Reaction score
Wow, it amazes me when people get great shots with DSLRs. I tried using one myself, it takes a lot of getting used to!

Great pics :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Beautiful shots as usual, VI. Congrats on the new camera. Glad to see it's gone to someone who can really get the most out of it!

Reaction score

Sorry, but that is incorrect. In general Noise is created by a multitude of reasons, underexposure not being one of them, but the primary reason noise is created is from the analog to digital conversion. Of course the higher the ISO(Sensitivity to Light) the more noise may be present. New sensors like the one on the 5D MKII does a great job in reducing it, but it is still present.

By underexposing the picture, you are able to "see" noise, but it's not the cause.

BTW, I just shot the 5D MKII at a 3 day wedding extravaganza as a second shooter. On site were a normal 5D and the 5D MKII. So it was great to compare the two.

Overall, I think the MKII is a superb camera when it comes to image quality, especially in low-light conditions. My only big gripe about it is the quality of construction. It was annoying at times while trying to review the histogram by pressing the "play" button and it not respond. Perhaps it was this particular camera, but do you notice any problem with the lag? Also, talk about eating up memory card space. On the first night, we were ill-prepared and only equipped with a handful of CF cards, by the end of the night we were forced to shoot in JPEG. *sigh* Those are some very, very large files in RAW.

Great photos too by the way! =)

Len

PS. I'm not sure if it's up yet, but the main photographer's website is hk | imaging: Atlanta's premier wedding photographers. There should be some processed photo's up soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.