Boot camp bombed - any ideas

Reaction score
I have used Boot camp for about a year. I have Windows XP, SP2 running. Today I was closing the Windows XP and using the Boot Camp control panel to go back to Leopard. All looked normal, except all I get now is a black screen. I can't start up the machine. I have tried holding down the option key on restart, no luck. Then tried holding down the X key (apple tech suggested), still a black screen. Then tried holding down the S key on restart. Still a black screen.

I have the install disk but am not sure what to do. Any suggestions:[

Reaction score
Did you try a pram reset? Hold <command>+<option>+P+R during boot. Do you get the boot-up tone?

OP
I
Reaction score
Took it to an apple store. They ran a dianostic test on it, detemined that the nvidia chip on the logic board was defective. I was told that Nvidia had shipped a lot of defective chips and Apple was aware of it, along with other computer makers.
They replaced my logic board under warranty, even though it was over a year old and I did not have Apple Care. Great service!!!. When I looked at what the bill would have been - $1323.00 I couldn't be happier. Good thing tht the Tech guy at the store knew what was going on. He nailed it as soon as I described the problem. Hooked up a diagnotic device and found out the problem immediately.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good to hear they're honoring the extended warranty. You're right, this is a known issue with some of the NVIDIA chips in the 8400 and 8600 series. They are susceptible to physical break down under heavy loads. The warranty covers all so-equipped MacBook Pros for an additional 2 years.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
cwa, bet that story makes ya feel a lot more comfortable

and thanks for reporting back ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.