Macbook as good as my Laptop?

Reaction score
Okay then, hi all, nice to meet you! :D

Okay, I'm think of getting a Mac. :Shock: :Horror: ;)

However, I use MSN daily, I use IRC sometimes. I also use Openoffice and/or Microsoft Office.

I game a little bit on minor games such as Sims 2 and RCT3.
All of this is done on a rubbish spec laptop.

Roughly how good is a Mac for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
It will do everything you currently do on the PC... Plus run OS X 10.5 Leopard!

In all honesty, with the new Intel Mac's, you can run Windows on your Mac, either by Bootcamp or from a program called Parallels, which lets you run Windows inside of Mac OS X.

There is Office for Mac, OpenOffice for Mac. Plenty of IRC Clients, and MANY IM programs. Go to a Apple Store and check them out for yourself. Once you play with one, you will be hooked!

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm looking specifically for Windows Live Messenger; or something that lets me communicate with people using that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check out Adium

It will allow you to chat with MSN Live. You can also use Messenger:Mac

OP
C
Reaction score
Adium - that's perfect!

Next problem, I'm in Wales, United Kingdom. There are no Apple Retail Stores here or anywhere in Wales at all. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like the closest one to Wales would be Birmingham (sp?) Is that close to you? Do you know anyone that has one?

OP
C
Reaction score
Birmingham is a fair distance to trial something. :(

I suppose I could try somewhere like PC World and ask for a trial..

By the way, thanks for making me feel so welcome here and thanks for all your help so far! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I thought it could be... All you would need to do is go to a store that has them out, and just get a feel for it.

I love mine, and I have another on the way for my wife, the best thing for me is the backlit keyboard! Even if you bought one without trying it, you will love it. Everyone here is really helpful, so you shouldn't have to worry at all!

OP
C
Reaction score
I've gotta save up for once first! ;)

I'm not sure where I could get one any cheaper than about £700, so it may be a while anyways. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
might want to look into a used one. $1,000US for a used one (depending on model) isn't a bad deal.

OP
C
Reaction score
Another thing I just thought of;

I regularly sync my Mobile Phone to my Laptop. Is this possible/easy enough with a Mac?

And erm, where might I reliably get a used one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check this software out - Missing Sync
A lot of people use that software with great success.

I don't use it personally, because my Smart Phone sync's with my works Exchange Server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
All of this is done on a rubbish spec laptop.

Roughly how good is a Mac for me?

A Macbook is far from a rubbish spec laptop. It's a svelte, sexy notebook that runs a far superior OS which with some tweaking can run all those other inferior OS's if you want. Then again, you can pretty much expect a response like that on a Mac forum.

As to how good a Mac would be for you? You'll have to just go see for yourself to determine that. Yes, we are advocates here, but sometimes we'll advocate sticking with Windows and all that the Windows world entails.

A Macbook would indeed enable you to communicate with your MSN and Windows Live Messenger buddies in some way or another (Parallels, VMware, bootcamp) while enjoying all of the fine kit that Mac OS provides. That Open Office and MS Office thing too.

Gaming, maybe not so much. Then again I only run one game which is UT2004 thus I'm lame but it runs fine on my Macbook. Other games, maybe not. For that I'll get a console once the economy gets better and I can afford silly things like that. Gaming rigs require a lot of graphical processing power. Expensive processing power. Expensive as Macs are believed to be in some ways.

However here is the succinct review: A Macbook is a highly portable, multiple OS running, powerful, convenient, quality notebook that is quite feature filled technology solution that is quite competitive with other non-Mac laptops/notebooks. It would be very difficult to go wrong with one.

Well, except for that Firewire omission. Wish Apple hadn't done that with the latest models. Glad mine has it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! Thanks again!

As for a used Mac, where might I get a reliable one? :)

Well in the U.S. - Ebay has them (Would advise against that), and our Local Craigslist (craigslist.com)

You can always check out PowerMax... not sure on their oversea's shipping policy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
I've gotta save up for once first! ;)

I'm not sure where I could get one any cheaper than about £700, so it may be a while anyways. :(

Try looking on the apple store for a refurbished one. I got mine direct from apple as my Nearest store is about an hour away (and I am lazy) and they helped me out loads. the link is Welcome to Apple Store - Apple Store (U.K.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm surprised no one asked the question - it seems that you're relatively satisfied with your existing Windows machine. Why are you interested in a Mac?

OP
C
Reaction score
I suppose I am satisfied with what it does, but it's quite old now and has crappy specs. I can't confirm a lot of things as I got it for christmas. :p

I'm just interested in the Mac brand and many reviews I have seen are positive. I know arguably this place is biased - but I haven't seen any, and everywhere I've been directed so far is correct. :)

The specs I've seen are good too, ok they're on apple's site but I can't see them lying about that, it's not exactly controversial.

:)

Also, as a Moderator would you please lock "Macbook with PC Applications" accidentally duped due to my clever computer lagging on me and not displaying new content on this webpage, therefore not showing that Thread. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well what you see on Apples website for specs of there notebooks, is basically like this - What you see is what you get.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.