Do I need wifi to use Time Capsule?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Aluminum Macbook 2Gb RAM 250GB HD
I dont have wifi in my house. If i purchase time capsule, will it not work because I dont have wifi? Reason why I dont have wifi, routers are too expensive and I only 1 laptop/macbook . no desktop.

thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You can connect via ethernet cable. Also Time Capsule doubles as a base station so you can now have WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
as long as you have an airport card in your laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As Eric mentioned, Time Capsule IS a wireless router. So you'll get access to the backup options along with wireless access for your Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
If you don't want/need wifi, why spend the extra $$$ on a Time Capsule? Time Machine will work with any external drive and a 1TB can be found for about $100 if you shop around. A 1TB Time Capsule is $500. Since you say routers ($50) are too expensive, why pay the inflated price of a Time Capsule?

Scott

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Aluminum Macbook 2Gb RAM 250GB HD
If you don't want/need wifi, why spend the extra $$$ on a Time Capsule? Time Machine will work with any external drive and a 1TB can be found for about $100 if you shop around. A 1TB Time Capsule is $500. Since you say routers ($50) are too expensive, why pay the inflated price of a Time Capsule?

Scott

where are there 1TB hard drives for $100?

since time capsule doubles as a wifi and router, id rather buy that. how much is it $300?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Time Capsule - $499

1TB External Hard Drive - $109.99

You could buy a decent wireless router for less than a hundred dollars and that external hard drive and still save a lot of money over buying a Time Capsule.

I personally think the Time Capsule is insanely overpriced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I dont have wifi in my house. If i purchase time capsule, will it not work because I dont have wifi? Reason why I dont have wifi, routers are too expensive and I only 1 laptop/macbook . no desktop.

thank you
You bought a Macbook, and think a wireless router is too expensive? A basic one can be had for around $50 all day long.

But Time Capsule's are way over priced, for $500 I can get a router that is equal or better to it, and about 3TB of external space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.