Copying data CDs - help

Reaction score
Newbie - Some primers - help - copying.

I'm new to Mac. Made the switch and although the os is friendly, I'd hardly call it intuitive. Some things make sense, some don't. Let's agree that it's different.

I'm running a new generation Macbook Pro. 10.5.6

1) I would like to know how to make backups of disks - data discs (ie. programs). I've tried everything that I can think of that makes sense. Now I need you guys because I simply cannot figure it out.

2) Also, is it possible to speed-up cursor travel in a document? It seems AWFULLY slow no matter where I happen to be entering text.

3) Do I have to have a folder in either the DOCK or on the DESKTOP if I want to copy (save) images off of the web? If not, how do I create AND place said files?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

I made the switch out of necessity - I do a lot of magazine work and got fed up of being the only guy in the room with a PC (when things go wrong, they'd all blame me). Anyway, here I am and there you go.

Peace, Love, & Bananas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Black) 2.4 GHz, 4GB Ram
I'm new to Mac. Made the switch and although the os is friendly, I'd hardly call it intuitive. Some things make sense, some don't. Let's agree that it's different.

I'm running a new generation Macbook Pro. 10.5.6

1) I would like to know how to make backups of disks - data discs (ie. programs). I've tried everything that I can think of that makes sense. Now I need you guys because I simply cannot figure it out.

2) Also, is it possible to speed-up cursor travel in a document? It seems AWFULLY slow no matter where I happen to be entering text.

3) Do I have to have a folder in either the DOCK or on the DESKTOP if I want to copy (save) images off of the web? If not, how do I create AND place said files?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

I made the switch out of necessity - I do a lot of magazine work and got fed up of being the only guy in the room with a PC (when things go wrong, they'd all blame me). Anyway, here I am and there you go.

Peace, Love, & Bananas

1. Not sure about freeware. Toast works just fine for me.

2. Are you talking about how to make it repeat faster if you keep a key pressed? if so.. go to system preferences -> keyboard & mouse and set the key repeat rate to fast and delay until repeat to short.

3. Not sure what you mean with this? Just click and drag the pic you want to get off the net and drag it to your desktop from there I suggest going Here and getting Quicksilver. It makes getting and moving files WAY easier.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks so much - my cursor travel issues are totally resolved.

I'll hunt down Toast.

Dragging and dropping seems to be the way to go with Mac but what if I want to save jpegs to a file that's not in my doc - it seems to be a laborious process if my browser is open to full-screen. I was hoping there was a shortcut or copy key to a default (changeable) location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Black) 2.4 GHz, 4GB Ram
Dragging and dropping seems to be the way to go with Mac but what if I want to save jpegs to a file that's not in my doc - it seems to be a laborious process if my browser is open to full-screen. I was hoping there was a shortcut or copy key to a default (changeable) location.

Oh I get it now lol :p Well, you can always right click (control + click) the image and select "save as.." There should be a tab that lets you select where do you want the file to download. Not sure if that's what you're looking for? Sorry lol my english comprehension skills sucks sometimes :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
For a freeware burning program, try Burn

OP
H
Reaction score
ChrisMBP - thanks so much - you have solved my two largest question marks. I appreciate the help.

FYI: It's not your comprehension that's off, it's my facility with this new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I'm new to Macs as well tho not out of necessity, more out of curiosity and wanting a change from dragging MS ;)

Anyways ... yeah... it takes a little while to get into a normal spin of things with the Mac but that's just 'cause you're so used to the MS ways so don't worry about it. It will come and you won't be blamed when junk hits the fan anymore ;)

1) Like docinsano said, if you want something free, give Burn a try. I use that all the time and never had a problem so far. Otherwise, Toast is by far the most used "paid" software for burning.

Have fun with the Mac!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.