can the iMac have any more than 4gb ram?

Reaction score
if I want a mac with more than 4gb ram I will need a mac pro right? or is it possible the next iMac in january might allow up to 8gb? because 4gb just isnt enough for me anymore, it is pretty much always maxxed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
At this point, it can only have 4GB. There's always a chance that they will do some sort of a refresh around the time of MacWorld, but I have not heard any rumors pointing to it happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
The iMac will take up to 6G of RAM, there is a catch though: right now it's only useful if you have a virtual machine. If you allocate it to VM or Parallels, it works fine, but if a regular program tries to access it you get some strange behaviors and performance takes a hit. Sometimes it will even crash or you get Kernal Panics. Snow Leopard might fix this though, just sit tight!

OP
M
Reaction score
yeah its kind of ridiculous that the max is 4gb, I mean come on. I pray that the next imac in january will allow more ram. otherwise the only other choice apple offers is mac pro. i guess beggers cant be choosers. oh and psyko, 4gb ram is practically maxxed out with merely photoshop, vmware fusion, and firefox open, nevermind all the other random apps that are also open.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are you using that is showing you that all 4GB is being used? Are you using Activity Monitor?

OP
M
Reaction score
dtravis7, yeah as soon as I notice apps lagging when I try to open them (bouncing on the dock longer than normal) I check in activity monitor and sure enough the green "free" ram is all gone, there is plenty of the blue "inactive" ram but I assume the inactive ram is already allocated to other open apps but just isn't being actively used by them at the moment. Am I wrong or is the ram maxxed out when the green "free" ram is all gone? Because I notice apps are definately slower when it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

If you need more memory, the amount of inactive and free RAM combined will be very low.

If you have lots of free blue inactive RAM, you're fine.

How old is your Mac though? Have you run Onyx, perfomed a full disk repair from booting with the OS X CD? Lagging can be fixed by doing these.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.