Macbook battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Hi everyone. I have a brand new macbook (the older black model, not the aluminium one). How long should the battery last with the airport on?

It's brand new i'm getting about 1hr and a half tops on a full charge. Is this normal?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How long the battery will last depends on what else you're doing with the machine at the same time Airport is on and how you have the power saver functions set. I can get three hours from my battery if I let the machine idle (no other activity), screen off, and have Airport on.

Regards.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I am doing is genreal net use. No downloading. Screen brightness on half.

Reaction score
Download iStat Pro to keep an eye on the health of your battery, especially on the number of cycles. Then go to System Preferences and tweak the Energy Saver settings. Bluetooth sucks a lot of battery life as well, so you might want to turn that off when it is not in use.

What other things do you have running in the background? Time Machine maybe?

Reaction score
I get nearly 5 hours with airport on and the screen on the lowest but 1 setting.
Thats doing just basic web browsing and listening to music through itunes.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
make sure your bluetooth is disabled if you're not using it. that may help a bit too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
I have seen a drop in mine as well recently as this is brought up is there a definative - read this for all battery issues type thread?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
I get about 4 hours w/ airport and moderate itunes listening
more if i'm lucky
i get about 3.5 hours with intense web surfing, lots of apps on, itunes , watching a movie etc..
and yes i do all these things simultaneously! im crazy
:)

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont have bluetooth on. Just airport. I'm going to let the battery die then charge it full and test it.

Reaction score
I got a macbook pro with core 2 duo and i get insane battery life (its about 20 days old ). I can get up to 3 hours if i am just running airport, no blue tooth, screen brightness set to as low as i can handle. I also adjust my fan speeds when i am not plugged in to normal, when i am plugged in i run them faster (protect the family jewels when the nuclear reactor core is on my lap)

Another trick to keep the battery lifespan of your computer is when you aren't using it, keep the charge at a minimum of 35% and a max of 70%. In terms of charging Li Ion batteries, manufacturers way over charge them in order to get peak energy densities, but not peak lifespan, so by keeping the charge state low, you will have the battery last longer. Also the cooler you run your laptop, the cooler your battery will be and longer it will last lifespan wise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.