Mac Pro dual ethernet ports. Do they "see" one another?

Reaction score
Okay, I'm looking for a solution here because dealing with my company's IT HQ is slower than molasses. We're at wit's end waiting for somebody to give us a straight answer so I figure I'd ask the pros here.

To preface my question, I have a Mac Pro that is not being used to it's fullest to say the least. It's basically just running WindowsXP via VMWare Fusion and doing a fine job at it. However the main plan was to use this machine as my "daily driver" for the graphic arts work and to also have a Windows platform to access the corporate network. Therein lies the rub. The corporate guys are adamant (and rightfully so) that the corporate network cannot be left open to the internet due to perceived security risks. But given the dual ethernet ports on the Mac Pro I'm stuck wondering if I could plug one port into the corporate network and point Fusion to use only that port and then plug the second ethernet port into the internet. In my department we pretty much need a broadband connection to the internet due to the nature of our work and going through the corporate connection is near impossible.

So do the ethernet ports see one another and share information between them? Or are they totally separate in function? If there is indeed a way I can plug into both networks without the ports sharing info I'm pretty much all the way home on the solution. Thanks.

shawn

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I know they are two independent ports / nics.

Have never had a machine with two nics, so I really don't know how that works.
Thought I'd give ya a little bump though.

Are you saying that in your dept, you have two data feeds available? One for the corp lan only and one that gains you an outside connection? Or would your internet connection still be going through the corporate network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Okay, I'm looking for a solution here because dealing with my company's IT HQ is slower than molasses. We're at wit's end waiting for somebody to give us a straight answer so I figure I'd ask the pros here.

To preface my question, I have a Mac Pro that is not being used to it's fullest to say the least. It's basically just running WindowsXP via VMWare Fusion and doing a fine job at it. However the main plan was to use this machine as my "daily driver" for the graphic arts work and to also have a Windows platform to access the corporate network. Therein lies the rub. The corporate guys are adamant (and rightfully so) that the corporate network cannot be left open to the internet due to perceived security risks. But given the dual ethernet ports on the Mac Pro I'm stuck wondering if I could plug one port into the corporate network and point Fusion to use only that port and then plug the second ethernet port into the internet. In my department we pretty much need a broadband connection to the internet due to the nature of our work and going through the corporate connection is near impossible.

So do the ethernet ports see one another and share information between them? Or are they totally separate in function? If there is indeed a way I can plug into both networks without the ports sharing info I'm pretty much all the way home on the solution. Thanks.

shawn

As long as they both are assigned different IP address, you basically would need to tell your switch which NIC can do what. Then they would do 2 seperate things.

OP
R
Reaction score
Think it's working the way I want now.

Thanks for the input guys. I have one switch supplying the corporate network feed and then another switch, which is connected to our broadband internet, supplying internet and connections to the other Macs in our office. I should have made that a bit more clear.

After a bit of discussion with the boss, he said to give it a try and see what happens. After changing a line of code in the boot file for Fusion I now have Windows (and the corporate net) looking at the port I specified and then the other port is being used on the Mac side. They do have two separate IP addresses which I figured would be the case. I had both networks plugged into the MacPro before I changed the code and it totally confused the snot out of Windows. Made the change and whammo, all was well.

I'm still wrapping my head around the new era of virtualization. I'm still reeling from the bad old days of VirtualPC and all of the problems that program had in general. Teaching the old dog a new and easier set of tricks slowly but surely. I've had this MacPro back here for quite awhile now and I finally got fed up of playing the waiting game. Too much of a performance jump over my G5 to just let sit and not be utilized. Again, thanks for the input.

shawn

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.