Is this Apple Rotten?

K

Kurious Oranj

Okay, I've been curious about Macs for a long time. I've heard almost exclusively good things about them from just about everyone I've known who uses them. I myself haven't used one since the Macintosh Plus my friend's parents had when I was a kid.
Anyway, a coworker of mine has a dad who resells used computers. I finally worked up the nerve to give the mac a shot, as he had one for dirt cheap.
It's an early one- a blueberry iMac, I'm pretty sure. It finally arrived, and I set it up. Here's the deal-

It doesn't do anything. I attach the power cable to the back, and there's just a subtle sort of quiet whir from within. No LEDS, no nothing. Power buttons do nothing. I'm pretty sure something must have happened to it during the shipping, but I figured I had better ask some folks who know a thing or two about Macs before I just assumed the thing was trashed. Are PC power cables any different from those on an iMac? The cord that came with it looks like a pC one- could this be the problem? Any help you could give before I pack this thing up again would be much appreciated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmmm, maybe check apple's support pages...

OP
K

ksun

The power cable shouldn't matter. BTW, there were some of the gumdrop iMacs that didn't make hardly a sound at all when they were on as they were fanless, so it could be something with just the monitor.

Reaction score
Yeah... but h said there were no LED's and the power button didn't do anything. Arent there connectors inside that are visible if you take the casing off? Maybe something is loose in there?

OP
I

ibmac'n

Hmmm..... what does the dad reseller have to say about this? Have you questioned him?
(dirt cheap....remember?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.