Which Mac?

Reaction score
I'm about to make the switch to Mac after endless frustration with MS etc. and I would like some advice on what to go for based on a) the PC configuration I use now and b) the need to do the following:
Photo editing using Nikon Capture NX and /or Adobe Photoshop Elements 7
E-mail client - Apple mail
Office application - iWork 08
I will also need to have a windows partition (Vista) in order to run some games such as Crysis, World in Conflict, Command and Conquer, Flight Simulator X. I would use Boot camp for this but this is not the main use of the new computer probbaly about 10% of the time is my estimate.

The current PC, built by myself, uses an Intel Q6600 2.4 GHz Quad Core CPU with 4GB RAM, nVidia 8800GT GPU and is Vista based. With Crysis I can run at High settings with great frame rates. So why do I want to change? I have had no end of hardware issues with the ASUS motherboard and I'm fed up with the constant updates to Vista. Yes , I know I will still have the software issues with Vista on the separate partiton but the majority of my work will be using the Mac OS. Oh and the other thing I want is a very a quiet computer which I don't get with my current PC.

My current plan is to go for the iMac 24 inch with 3.06GHz CPU, 1TB HDD.
I could wait for Mac World to see if there are new models but my PC is currently unstable and sometimes refuses to boot so I need to do something now. :(
Any helpful comments suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Spend some money on a copy of XP and Parallels.

You won't be sorry.

And, BTW, you won't believe how great the Mac OS is. I still can't believe that I can boot up in under a minute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I would try to recover the Asus box by checking all connections, and perhaps the CPU & heatsink connection. Treat is as a rebuild. Boards are a lot less expensive than buying a whole new computer, so you could always replace a bad part.

I've heard Crysis is very demanding, so look into how well it runs on a current generation iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.